3 day old chick stunted twisted leg and foot

CleoR

Hatching
Apr 21, 2022
Hello there,
My wyandotte bantam had incubated 11 fertilised eggs I bought and 8 hatched 3 days ago.
In the first 3 days of the incubation period we noticed she had pooped on the eggs. We wiped them with dry paper towel and changed bedding.

One chick that has hat had has what looks like a short leg and bent backward with bent backwards toes.

I have attached photos. I was wondering if it was a vitamin deficiency, I read up Vit Bs Choline Niacin but also problems with incubation period.

Has anyone seen this before and should I try to slowly put a splint on the leg and feet to try bring the foot forward so at least it can use it a little? I'm not sure what kind of splint and how to make one...
It manages to bend the leg at the hip as it runs along but the leg is short and bent that it doesnt help so it practically hops on one leg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20220421_131639.jpg
20220421_131629.jpg
20220421_131552.jpg

It looks like a congenital defect, and I don’t think the chick will be able to use the leg. Many chicks can get by with only one leg.I probably would not splint or treat this since it may cause unnecessary suffering. It may be able to find a way to walk on it’s own.Chick vitamins or human vitamin B complex may help some. This chick may need to be put down if it cannot get around to food and water. This video shows a local chick with a deformed leg being fitted with an artificial limb:

It looks like a congenital defect, and I don’t think the chick will be able to use the leg. Many chicks can get by with only one leg.I probably would not splint or treat this since it may cause unnecessary suffering. It may be able to find a way to walk on it’s own.Chick vitamins or human vitamin B complex may help some. This chick may need to be put down if it cannot get around to food and water. This video shows a local chick with a deformed leg being fitted with an artificial limb:
Thank you very much!

Yes I thought perhaps something like a support for the leg instead of trying to stretch it out.
I have added some crushed Vit B complex to its water and a multivitamin powder for chickens.
It eats and drinks ok but looks to get tired very quickly poor thing.
Thank you so much for the video, might have a go at it!
Cleo 😁

Hello again,
I forgot to ask, how do I dose a human Vitamin B complex tablet for a baby chick and how often please?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

The dosage is about 1/4 tablet daily. You can crush it and dissolve it in a spoonful of water, and give it a drop at a time with a syringe of dropper.

The dosage is about 1/4 tablet daily. You can crush it and dissolve it in a spoonful of water, and give it a drop at a time with a syringe of dropper.
Wonderful thank you. I hope it can have some sort of development.
I have it with its mother and 7 brothers and sisters. I dont really want to separate it.
Thank you again. I will report back in a while see if it has developed any better or not, help anyone else who is going through something similar.
Cleo x

Unfortunately I’ve had a couple chicks with deformed legs, tried correcting them with splints etc, to no avail. They seemed to do alright for the first 6-8weeks or so but as they got bigger they just were not able to support themselves well enough. They slowly started looking worse and worse and thinner and thinner until I could no longer watch them suffering and had to put them down. Now, plenty of people have had success stories of deformed legs or chickens that lost a leg. So I would say it’s up to you if you want/ have the ability to spend the time and energy required to nurse a chick like this. Just be aware that there may come a time when you might have to make a hard decision.

Unfortunately I’ve had a couple chicks with deformed legs, tried correcting them with splints etc, to no avail. They seemed to do alright for the first 6-8weeks or so but as they got bigger they just were not able to support themselves well enough. They slowly started looking worse and worse and thinner and thinner until I could no longer watch them suffering and had to put them down. Now, plenty of people have had success stories of deformed legs or chickens that lost a leg. So I would say it’s up to you if you want/ have the ability to spend the time and energy required to nurse a chick like this. Just be aware that there may come a time when you might have to make a hard decision.
Yes you do make a good point, but as it's one of my pets I have to give it a try.
Thank you for bringing this up there is always a point when you dont want an animal to suffer so you have to do the difficult job of ending its suffering.

I'm hoping with this little chick, it being a bantam, it might be light enough to take its weight with one leg if I can't help it with some kind of "prosthetic".

Thank you again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom