3 day old chick will not straighten legs

DuckNana

Chirping
Jun 15, 2011
I have a 3 day old chick that will not straighten her legs or even try to stand. I have hobbled her legs because they were out to her side. I have done daily physical therapy with her by slowly moving her legs into a straight position but on her own she does not try to bend at the hock or straighten from the hip out. When I hold her up above the counter a bit she does not extend her legs out to stand. She is very alert, scoots all over the place, eats really well and drinks water. I did put vitamins in her water. I don't know what else to do. When I put her on her back in my palm she wiggles and her legs kick a little but never straight out. I had to help her out of the shell as she had been working for a very long time and was going no where. She had it zipped 1/2 way and was pushing but only so far. Now I'm thinking her legs weren't working in the shell either to give that really good push out of the shell. Once I softened the membrane so it wasn't stuck and zipped a bit more for her she popped right out but was exhausted. So I put her in a separate little container in the incubator to dry out so the others wouldn't peck and bother her. Anything else I should do to help her?? Thank you!

Can you post s video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

To be honest, if I had a chick that was 3 days old and could not straighten her legs and could not stand, I would cull her. Sorry.

Can you post s video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

To be honest, if I had a chick that was 3 days old and could not straighten her legs and could not stand, I would cull her. Sorry.
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately I cannot upload to youtube as I live in Baja Mexico and I have very limited Internet. We just have Satellite Internet and buy GBs. I can take a video of her with my phone and attach I think? I took her hobble off and her legs are in and not sprawled out to the side anymore. Now she moves around using her hocks. She will stretch straight up using her hips but the hock is on the ground. Her toes don't look very good either. She can move them but they stay floppy. I did see where you can tape the toes (giving shoes). I might try that. She gets around really good for using her hocks. I think she is more deformed then I realized. It's pretty sad. I'm going to try and get a video of her.

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately I cannot upload to youtube as I live in Baja Mexico and I have very limited Internet. We just have Satellite Internet and buy GBs. I can take a video of her with my phone and attach I think? I took her hobble off and her legs are in and not sprawled out to the side anymore. Now she moves around using her hocks. She will stretch straight up using her hips but the hock is on the ground. Her toes don't look very good either. She can move them but they stay floppy. I did see where you can tape the toes (giving shoes). I might try that. She gets around really good for using her hocks. I think she is more deformed then I realized. It's pretty sad. I'm going to try and get a video of her.
If you can't get video, that's o.k., no worries.
Maybe a photo might be easier - your description is very good.

I'm sorry that she's struggling, it does sound like she may have deformity. Work with her and see how it goes. If possible, I would give her some B-Complex vitamins, if not, then give her a little cooked egg once a day.

I'm sorry that she's struggling, it does sound like she may have deformity. Work with her and see how it goes. If possible, I would give her some B-Complex vitamins, if not, then give her a little cooked egg once a day.

This is exactly what is going on with her!!! Just found this info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-tendon-perosis-treated-sucessfully.1092175/

She will NOT bend her hock and I've been scared to. I just bent her leg at the hock and stretched her leg out behind her. She was fine with it! I think I can use the information in this post to figure out how to treat her and do PT!! I'm so happy. I just hope I can correct this!!

This is exactly what is going on with her!!! Just found this info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-tendon-perosis-treated-sucessfully.1092175/

She will NOT bend her hock and I've been scared to. I just bent her leg at the hock and stretched her leg out behind her. She was fine with it! I think I can use the information in this post to figure out how to treat her and do PT!! I'm so happy. I just hope I can correct this!!
Good! I hope you are able to fix it.
My understanding is that Slipped Tendon can be hard to correct at times, but it's worth a shot.
Let us know how it goes.

I had the same thing happen with one of my chicks on the last batch I incubated. I did some research but I couldnt figure it out so I just left it be and its doing completely fine now.

Back
Top Bottom