3 missing hens

In my experience a mink will kill every chicken it can get and not carry away any of them. In every circumstance the chickens were killed or dragged a very short distance and feathers everywhere but especially pulled from the neck area. The hens were never bloody.

The first time a fox attacked my flock of big hens it carried one away alive and I was able to catch it in the act and save the hen. It left some feathers where it snatched her but it didn't leave any.

Minks are the worst. Before I had chickens I thought they were magnificent little animals and now I loathe them. We had a daytime attack- broad daylight, 1 p.m.-and by the time I had run outside with my dogs the mink had killed six birds (they were free ranging). Less than a minute. One of them it killed right on my front porch.

In my experience a mink will kill every chicken it can get and not carry away any of them. In every circumstance the chickens were killed or dragged a very short distance and feathers everywhere but especially pulled from the neck area. The hens were never bloody.

The first time a fox attacked my flock of big hens it carried one away alive and I was able to catch it in the act and save the hen. It left some feathers where it snatched her but it didn't leave any.

Minks are the worst. Before I had chickens I thought they were magnificent little animals and now I loathe them. We had a daytime attack- broad daylight, 1 p.m.-and by the time I had run outside with my dogs the mink had killed six birds (they were free ranging). Less than a minute. One of them it killed right on my front porch.
so sorry; what state are you in?

Back
Top Bottom