32 gallons of food and water - how many days . .

I track the feed by writing the date I dump it into our storage containers. We go through a 50 pound bag for 8 layers about once a month. Note we use pellets and there is very little waste.

For water we have two water stations. A 5 gallon HN bucket and a 2 gallon HN bucket. They get filled using a one gallon pitcher. I don't track consumption. Your plan to measure daily consumption is a good plan. I have found a bunch of references online saying a typical adult chicken will avarage one pint per day. But could drink twice that in hotter weather. If that estimate is close, you could expect 32 gallons would last about 10 days. Please check my math. But above you got some good advice to pad it a bit. Also note, if you have just one water station. A leak would be bad.

Can you ask you chicken helpers to check the feed & water daily?
Thanks!

I have a seasoned chicken helper coming every day or every other day to check on them. Just wanted to make it as easy as possible.

If you have a water supply close by, rig up a float valve in the bucket. All you need is to drill a hole in the side and install. It sure saves me from lugging water. Also, if the weather is hot, they will drink more.

Back
Top Bottom