3wk old duckling suddenly having trouble walking/falling over

I have a theory on why Pete is only improving now, after maintaining the same dose for a couple weeks. I didn't want to say anything until I gave it a few days to be sure but...

I ran out of my first bottle of B complex last week and opened the new bottle I had on hand, and I instantly noticed how much darker the liquid in the new bottle was. New liquid is below in the syringe, hard to take a good pic and I don't have any of the old liquid to compare it to. But think "kinda dehydrated urine" versus "kidney damage urine" color. Lol.

But anyway, a couple days after starting to dose Pete with the new bottle is when I noticed her improving.

I wonder if my first bottle was a bad one.

Attachments

• 20240422_144145.jpg
    20240422_144145.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 3
I have a theory on why Pete is only improving now, after maintaining the same dose for a couple weeks. I didn't want to say anything until I gave it a few days to be sure but...

I ran out of my first bottle of B complex last week and opened the new bottle I had on hand, and I instantly noticed how much darker the liquid in the new bottle was. New liquid is below in the syringe, hard to take a good pic and I don't have any of the old liquid to compare it to. But think "kinda dehydrated urine" versus "kidney damage urine" color. Lol.

But anyway, a couple days after starting to dose Pete with the new bottle is when I noticed her improving.

I wonder if my first bottle was a bad one.
Interesting, mine is a dark yellow, but I don't know if it's this level of kidney dark :lol: I will take a look tonight.

Pete is almost 100 percent better now, you can barely tell anything was wrong. And it turns out she's a very personable and outgoing duck when she's not in pain! Pete says thank you.

1000006229.jpg

I'm sad she suffered for so much longer than she could have due to a faulty (?) bottle of B complex. After a couple weeks of 150% of the recommended dosage I started figuring it was something other than niacin deficiency. Nope, just niacin deficiency most likely.

Or maybe it's this current bottle that's stronger than it's supposed to be. I'm going to get another one and open it early to compare.

Pete is almost 100 percent better now, you can barely tell anything was wrong. And it turns out she's a very personable and outgoing duck when she's not in pain! Pete says thank you.

View attachment 3812775

I'm sad she suffered for so much longer than she could have due to a faulty (?) bottle of B complex. After a couple weeks of 150% of the recommended dosage I started figuring it was something other than niacin deficiency. Nope, just niacin deficiency most likely.

Or maybe it's this current bottle that's stronger than it's supposed to be. I'm going to get another one and open it early to compare.
she’s beautiful! about the liquid did they have expiration dates on the bottles or boxes anywhere. Maybe it was expired? I bought some packets of chick electrolytes from a farm supplies store and when I looked at them after I got home noticed they had expired several years ago

View attachment 3812775

Pete is gorgeous, so happy she is all well now she looks like she is enjoying life to the fullest.

Back
Top Bottom