4 day old chick with bumblefoot

Peas4Ducks

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
I have a four day old chick with a red swollen foot/leg and what looks like a small bumble scab on the bottom of her foot. She’s heavily favoring the leg, and not coming out from under the brooder to eat or drink as often as the other chicks. I’m unwilling to cut her foot to drain the swelling as her foot is so small and delicate. I have amoxicillin and baytril, but she’s so tiny—maybe 40 grams—that I’m not sure that antibiotics are an option. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a chance it will clear up on its own, especially because she’s so young?

Can you post a picture?
AA53B8E4-348A-49CE-BF26-C35262BA294C.jpeg
CC9DCF62-8AC5-44F2-9734-4997E087A992.jpeg

Sorry the second picture is a little blurry. It looks like classic bumblefoot, it’s just shocking to see it in such a young chick.

"Bumblefoot" is a term used for infection that has entered the foot through abrasions, cuts, scrapes, sticks, etc. So, while most think of the "classic" scab with kernel when they see the word bumblefoot, it's actually just a name for "infection of the foot" which can happen at any age.

If she was on bedding, she may have gotten a small sliver or bedding poked into the foot like a splinter. Possible scrape or poke from something.

I'd soak her little foot in epsom salts, see if you can find a splinter or something like that, remove it. Apply triple antibiotic ointment, then wrap. Keep her on clean dry bedding.

"Bumblefoot" is a term used for infection that has entered the foot through abrasions, cuts, scrapes, sticks, etc. So, while most think of the "classic" scab with kernel when they see the word bumblefoot, it's actually just a name for "infection of the foot" which can happen at any age.

If she was on bedding, she may have gotten a small sliver or bedding poked into the foot like a splinter. Possible scrape or poke from something.

I'd soak her little foot in epsom salts, see if you can find a splinter or something like that, remove it. Apply triple antibiotic ointment, then wrap. Keep her on clean dry bedding.
I will try this, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom