4 week chick gasping for air and sneezing (sometimes)

He has grit (crushed granite) to process food and seeds you feed him correct?
Yes, mineral grit stone.

Thank you for the reply, after taking the video he just fell asleep. No he wasn’t sneezing, he does only sometimes, might be because of dust.

His crop seems to empty fine, but I will check again tonight and tomorrow morning as you suggested

Yes, mineral grit stone.
I'm not trying to harp about the grit, but what is mineral grit stone?

Since we live in different countries, we may be calling "grit" different things.

Mineral Grit sounds like crushed oyster shell or a calcium based product, could be wrong.

Oyster shell or calcium based stone is considered "soluble" and is generally not hard enough to be used int he gizzard as grit.
Grit used in the gizzard is usually made from crushed granite which is "insoluble" and is used to grind/process foods like seeds and feed.

If your mineral grit stone is calcium based, then I would not give it to a small chick. It's meant for giving to pullets/hens in lay as added calcium, which is something that young chick does not need in excess.

I'm not trying to harp about the grit, but what is mineral grit stone?

Since we live in different countries, we may be calling "grit" different things.

Mineral Grit sounds like crushed oyster shell or a calcium based product, could be wrong.

Oyster shell or calcium based stone is considered "soluble" and is generally not hard enough to be used int he gizzard as grit.
Grit used in the gizzard is usually made from crushed granite which is "insoluble" and is used to grind/process foods like seeds and feed.

If your mineral grit stone is calcium based, then I would not give it to a small chick. It's meant for giving to pullets/hens in lay as added calcium, which is something that young chick does not need in excess.
Thank you, I didn’t know that. I suspect it’s oyster shell, it’s this one: Quiko Hobby Farming Mineral Grit Stone (https://amzn.eu/d/2PAH8xN).

It says stone, but in the image there are oyster shells. So I should get granite, like the one in construction sites?

Thank you, I didn’t know that. I suspect it’s oyster shell, it’s this one: Quiko Hobby Farming Mineral Grit Stone (https://amzn.eu/d/2PAH8xN).

It says stone, but in the image there are oyster shells. So I should get granite, like the one in construction sites?
Yes, looking at the product description is says, "Fatto di animali marini fossilizzati e piante calcificate"

My translator says " Made of fossilized marine animals and calcified plants".

So it would not be suitable as "grit" for the crop, it's not hard enough.

Yes, looking at the product description is says, "Fatto di animali marini fossilizzati e piante calcificate"

My translator says " Made of fossilized marine animals and calcified plants".

So it would not be suitable as "grit" for the crop, it's not hard enough.
Oh ok, I will go buy the granite one then

Back
Top Bottom