4 week old B.R. Pullet?

KJV1611

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
I got 4 Barred Rock pullets from Tractor Supply on June 10th. So my guess is that they're the better part of 4 weeks old. As they started feathering, Alley is noticably lighter than the others. She also tends to chest bump and chase the others around the brooder. Last week, I noticed her comb started turning pink at the base. Now I'm starting to think my Alley is more of an Al. Do you guys think it's a cockerel, or just a pushy pullet?

Attachments

• PXL_20230705_114600628.jpg
    PXL_20230705_114600628.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20230705_115026305.jpg
    PXL_20230705_115026305.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 18
That does appear to be a cockerel because of the large comb. But that would be all you have to determine at the moment. With very little hormones present, determine a chicks gender by behavior isn't very reliable.

That does appear to be a cockerel because of the large comb. But that would be all you have to determine at the moment. With very little hormones present, determine a chicks gender by behavior isn't very reliable.
I'm really hoping it's not. I already have a rooster. Including the 4 Barred Rocks, I have 13 chimkins. As much as I'd love to have more, I don't have the setup for more right now. And I don't think 11 hens will be quite enough for 2 roosters, without a lot of fighting.

Attachments

• PXL_20230705_115222153.jpg
    PXL_20230705_115222153.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 17
And I don't think 11 hens will be quite enough for 2 roosters, without a lot of fighting
Depends on the dynamic.

The main concern would be overbreeding. One rooster will establish dominance one time and the younger is unlikely to continually challenge the alpha.

The younger cockerel will probably lay claim to a few of the younger pullets and everyone will be happy.

OR the younger cockerel will establish dominance early.

Alley is looking more like an Alex. And you’re right. 11 is probably not enough for two Roos.

Chickens have individual behaviors and personalities. Yours may get along just fine. But general advice would be that you’re going to have one too many Roos. Particularly since you said you don’t have the setup, so I’m guessing you don’t have the space.

Alley is looking more like an Alex. And you’re right. 11 is probably not enough for two Roos.

Chickens have individual behaviors and personalities. Yours may get along just fine. But general advice would be that you’re going to have one too many Roos. Particularly since you said you don’t have the setup, so I’m guessing you don’t have the space.
I have space, land-wise. The money to build a larger coop and run, on the other hand, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom