4 week old chick feels very light and skinny but eats a lot?

Jun 12, 2022
Southern California Mountains
I have a roughly 4 week old Ameraucana chick who feels very light and has a much more prominent keel bone than the other two chicks she’s with (mottled Java and salmon faverolles). She’s definitely less rowdy than the other two, but not really lethargic. They’re fed only scratch and peck chick starter crumbles and they nibble on grass and bugs that they find outside, they’re also provided grit. They’re kept outside during the day with a heat plate in a 6’x8’ sectioned off section in the run since the day time temps are very warm now. I’ve seen her eating the chick crumbles multiple times a day, and she gets a full crop after she eats but she remains very light and skinny. I’m not sure what could be the cause of this?

It doesn't sound like anything serious. As long as she is eating and drinking normally, I wouldn't worry. It could just be the type of bird she is and who her parents are.

I have a roughly 4 week old Ameraucana chick who feels very light and has a much more prominent keel bone than the other two chicks she’s with (mottled Java and salmon faverolles). She’s definitely less rowdy than the other two, but not really lethargic. They’re fed only scratch and peck chick starter crumbles and they nibble on grass and bugs that they find outside, they’re also provided grit. They’re kept outside during the day with a heat plate in a 6’x8’ sectioned off section in the run since the day time temps are very warm now. I’ve seen her eating the chick crumbles multiple times a day, and she gets a full crop after she eats but she remains very light and skinny. I’m not sure what could be the cause of this?
Photos of her and her poop?

Photos of her and her poop?
I can get some photos tomorrow. Today she seemed way perkier than she has been before and was running around with the other two. I did just finish a round of corid (5 days) just in case coccidiosis was causing her to be thinner and not as perky as the others. She ended the day with a nice full crop. Her poop was normal and firm from what I saw today.

I can get some photos tomorrow. Today she seemed way perkier than she has been before and was running around with the other two. I did just finish a round of corid (5 days) just in case coccidiosis was causing her to be thinner and not as perky as the others. She ended the day with a nice full crop. Her poop was normal and firm from what I saw today.
It's good that she's better today.
Coccidiosis can make them weak, so it's possible that was what was going on with her.

To know for sure if she's gaining/improving, get a weight on her tomorrow, then weigh her at least once a week. Tracking weight can be helpful - or at least you know if she's losing/staying the same or gaining. Some chicks are just thin and spindly for a while then suddenly seem to fill out.

It's good that she's better today.
Coccidiosis can make them weak, so it's possible that was what was going on with her.

To know for sure if she's gaining/improving, get a weight on her tomorrow, then weigh her at least once a week. Tracking weight can be helpful - or at least you know if she's losing/staying the same or gaining. Some chicks are just thin and spindly for a while then suddenly seem to fill out.
Here’s some photos of her and a pic of her poo. That’s a good idea I’ll definitely start weighing her too. She’s about the same size as the mottled Java chick, just way lighter and skinnier than her. Her keel bone protrudes a lot and I can feel the front part of it by her crop whereas the other 2 are filled in more. She has a full crop when I took these photos and she just went to eat more too.
B25225F4-E4C1-4DBE-9B0F-1DDE3CFD66DB.jpeg

12A1E056-A2F5-4626-B474-466EABB18412.jpeg

F4E74E62-51B8-40E4-8878-E84845F02BFC.jpeg

She’s about the same size as the mottled Java chick, just way lighter and skinnier than her. Her keel bone protrudes a lot and I can feel the front part of it by her crop whereas the other 2 are filled in more.
I'd just keep watch on her.
If she's eating/drinking and active, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Behavior is key.

Even among siblings of the same breed, chicks can be different sizes. It would be hard to compare her to Mottled Java or the Faverolles which are both heavier breeds.

I'd just keep watch on her.
If she's eating/drinking and active, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Behavior is key.

Even among siblings of the same breed, chicks can be different sizes. It would be hard to compare her to Mottled Java or the Faverolles which are both heavier breeds.
Well now today she’s just falling asleep a lot standing up in places. She’ll then wake up, peck a tiny bit, eat and drink then just fall asleep in place again… her wings have been drooping low too. They were already treated with corid for 5 days (1/2 tsp liquid corid in their quart waterer), so I don’t know what is now causing her to be sleepy.

Well now today she’s just falling asleep a lot standing up in places. She’ll then wake up, peck a tiny bit, eat and drink then just fall asleep in place again… her wings have been drooping low too. They were already treated with corid for 5 days (1/2 tsp liquid corid in their quart waterer), so I don’t know what is now causing her to be sleepy.
Looks like your getting some great suggestions on your other thread.
I hope she improves!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/could-this-still-be-coccidiosis.1575915/

Back
Top Bottom