4 week old chick with leg injury

zoya97

Hatching
Apr 11, 2024
i just noticed yesterday that my chick is limping and seems to have hurt her right leg. i’m not noticing anything different from the other leg, but she really doesn’t like to put much weight on her leg… any suggestions? 🥺

Attachments

• IMG_2997.jpeg
    IMG_2997.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 7
Welcome To BYC

What are you feeding?

Hard to know what's happened. Hopefully she's just sprained her leg and with a bit of rest she will recover quickly.

It wouldn't hurt to give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Keep her off slick and uneven surfaces. If she's self-limiting activity, not getting picked on, is eating/drinking normally then I'd leave her with her flock mates and monitor her closely.

Do check the legs, joints and the bottom of the feet daily to see if you note any swelling, bruising, abrasions that may present in a few days.

in addition to above, please keep a close eye on her. Sometimes Marek's disease and other neurological issues start out as just lameness with no apparent cause. Hopefully it is just a sprain or bruise! Bumblefoot can also present as lameness so as has been said, look for anything unusual on her foot pads or toes. Feel for heat in her joints, legs, and feet. if it is an injury sometimes you can see faint bruising, although maybe not since she has darker legs. If I have a lame bird I usually confine them to a hospital pen to limit activity such as running and jumping, but where they can still hear and see the flock...but if your baby is still with her mother or siblings, then you might not want to do that. Good luck, I hope she improves! Keep us posted.

Welcome To BYC

What are you feeding?

Hard to know what's happened. Hopefully she's just sprained her leg and with a bit of rest she will recover quickly.

It wouldn't hurt to give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Keep her off slick and uneven surfaces. If she's self-limiting activity, not getting picked on, is eating/drinking normally then I'd leave her with her flock mates and monitor her closely.

Do check the legs, joints and the bottom of the feet daily to see if you note any swelling, bruising, abrasions that may present in a few days.
thank you! she is getting grow and start chick feed. i will monitor her closely, i do have her and one of my other chicks separated from the other two but maybe i’ll put them all back together!

in addition to above, please keep a close eye on her. Sometimes Marek's disease and other neurological issues start out as just lameness with no apparent cause. Hopefully it is just a sprain or bruise! Bumblefoot can also present as lameness so as has been said, look for anything unusual on her foot pads or toes. Feel for heat in her joints, legs, and feet. if it is an injury sometimes you can see faint bruising, although maybe not since she has darker legs. If I have a lame bird I usually confine them to a hospital pen to limit activity such as running and jumping, but where they can still hear and see the flock...but if your baby is still with her mother or siblings, then you might not want to do that. Good luck, I hope she improves! Keep us posted.
thank you! i’m a bit newer to chickens and haven’t dealt with anything to crazy yet! will keep a close eye on her and hope she starts improving! if it’s mareks disease how soon would the other chicks start to show symptoms?

thank you! she is getting grow and start chick feed. i will monitor her closely, i do have her and one of my other chicks separated from the other two but maybe i’ll put them all back together!
If she's separated out with a buddy, that's probably fine. I'd try to keep them near the others, so they stay familiar with each other.

How much space do you have them in?

In our flock we have never had more than one bird with Marek's (or whatever neuro problem it is, and there are a few conditions that have similar symptoms) get it at a time. Many develop immunity naturally. If your chick hasn't developed additional symptoms by now, it is probably an injury.

Back
Top Bottom