4 week old with bleeding on her foot

traceylong_1

Hatching
Apr 19, 2022
My 4 week old, Lady Maran (LM henceforth), was found about 12 days ago with a very bloody toe and all her sisters going nuts trying to get it. She has been in isolation since to give it a chance to heal. She has tolerated isolation well and has continued to grow. She gets free time in the "yard", very closely supervised, then goes back in her basket when I have to leave. She is healing well and the scabbing has gotten much smaller. I'm waiting until there is not any scab remaining for the other wee beasties to peck off and start her bleeding again before I let her out for good.

My question is about one particular area that seems to be very slow to heal and easily starts bleeding again. It seems to be where one of her foot feathers was pulled out. LM is a Blue Splash Maran (creative name, I know) and has some light feathering on her legs and feet. It's a small, dark red thing that looks kind of like a splinter. Is it called a follicle on a chicken, where the feather grows? Is there anything I can do to aid its healing? Will I have to wait until the feather grows back? How long does that take? When she's out of her basket most of the other chickens leave her alone now, except for a few bullies (I have 11 total.) But I'm afraid they will peck at it and it'll bleed. Advice? TIA.

Is the base of the feather still attached? Do you have a picture? Blood feathers can bleed until the feather is pulled out with something like pliers. I don’t know if that is what is happening or not here. Here is some reading:
https://chickenscratchny.com/broken-blood-feathers-chicken-first-aid/
Hello, and thanks for your reply. You can see in the picture the small scab remaining at the tip of her toe (she lost the nail several days ago with a scab that came off), which started bleeding again yesterday, and the red tip of blood at what I think is where a feather was pulled out. She is still in isolation.

Attachments

• L.M. toe 4.20.22.jpg
    L.M. toe 4.20.22.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 9
I hope that she will be able to rejoin her group soon. If ahe stays away from them for long, they will probably keep pecking at her. This is the time for establishing a pecking order at their age. I have used BluKote to color a wound with good results. Sometimes pine tar or petroleum jelly can work to prevent pecking a sore.

Back
Top Bottom