5 gallon bucket feeder issue

with two tidy cats buckets I filled them every 3-4 weeks with 6 laying hens. if you are ok refilling that frequently,
Maybe every 3weekends or a little bit more often, two will be great.
I wanted to use a Tidy Cat container also but was worried about getting all the chemical/scent out first. Is it safe to use with a simple soap and water clean or do I need to prep them another way?

I wanted to use a Tidy Cat container also but was worried about getting all the chemical/scent out first. Is it safe to use with a simple soap and water clean or do I need to prep them another way?

I never once thought about this and won’t in the future either. Go ahead and rinse if you like it. These have been used for many purposes over the years so mine were probably cleaned at some point in the past before I used for this.

I never once thought about this and won’t in the future either. Go ahead and rinse if you like it. These have been used for many purposes over the years so mine were probably cleaned at some point in the past before I used for this.
Thanks! Seeing the many instances of their use I need to relax!

I used 2 inch elbows for my chick feeder. I cut some off to make it shorter, so they could reach the feed. They were using it at 3-4 weeks old without a problem.

2 gallon chick no waste feeder 2 inch street elbow.jpg

2 gallon chick no waste feeder.jpg

How high are the elbows off the bottom of the bucket?

They are all using them now. Just had to take the other feeder away. They found the new ones pretty quick after that. I left a 1” gap on the bottom facing portion o the elbow so feed can slide under.

I just made one using a 3 inch 90 degree street elbow. Saw off the flared end, attach to the other end, secure with bracket+machine screws.

When the thing is whole, you make your marks where to put the hole. Cutting off the flared end then gives you about an 1.5" gap at the bottom of the bucket for feed to fill in. Putting it on the other end helps secure it, and gives it some cover from the rain.

Set it on a cinderblock, and the flock figured it out pretty quickly. Beats scattering feed on the ground, which is what I've been doing. Think I'll need to make at least two more for the adults, and some of smaller diameters for younger birds.

Back
Top Bottom