5-week chick w/ bloody tail getting picked on

Songster
Aug 30, 2022
Chesterfield, VA
We’ve separated her into a dog crate just now, but have read they should be separated within the brooder. Our brooder is an outdoor brooder (4x8) with two heating pads, and they all pack together really tightly at night as part of their routine (cute!). I think it might be difficult to separate her since they do this to stay warm. I could use the heat lamp but if she’s too hot maybe she won’t be able to get away from it if sectioned off.

Their starter feed is Nature’s best organic feed (18% protein) and we give electrolytes every other day in their water.

I have read to get and apply blue or red kote (which one is better?). I also read a red light will help…is that true? Does it need to be heat emitting? We just use a reptile lamp with non-light emitting bulb, but have stopped using it this week.

Anything else I need to do for this kid?

FF2C0F9B-303E-4969-A1AC-BB3528A6FDB4.jpeg 2D392DF5-EC2B-41B4-9C00-ED131A2DCE85.jpeg FDB58D59-A357-4B2E-A3DB-E34214918D5F.jpeg

BluKote would possibly work, but stick around and observe their behavior to make sure. Red lights work better, but the only ones available now are much too hot, usually 250 watts. The red lighting makes everything hard for them to see to peck. They used to sell 60 watt red bulbs before most incandescent bulbs done away with. Those worked great. Do they have enough room during the day?

I think they have enough room. It’s 32 sq ft. There are 29, 20 two weeks and 9 five weeks. We are making a temporary run now for them but it won’t be predator proof so someone will have to be out for them to use it.

I can get a bright red light that’s just a regular (not heat) bulb, but the brooder is outdoors so I feel like natural light will wash it out.

Maybe I’ll get some red toys to put I the brooder and it will help.

I can remember having 25 chicks in a 4x4 brooder, but by 3 weeks old, they were needing more room. I did have the red light, though, and they had windows in their coop and brooder. Maybe spend some time watching to see if a certain chick is picking. Right now the hurt chick might need to be fenced off from the rest by some screen or temporary plastic fencing. If the BluKote is not helpful, try Betadine and a little vaseline or betadine ointment.

Back
Top Bottom