5 Week Old Chick Sick?

kaitsid

Hatching
May 13, 2022
Hello!

I’m new to raising a backyard flock of chickens. We just got our first 6 chicks about a month ago. We have 6 females (3 RI Reds & 3 Delawares) who are all in a brooder in our home currently. Yesterday morning I checked on the chicks per usual, refilled with clean water & food, and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. Yesterday evening, I went to do the same, and noticed one of our RI Reds “Misty” was lethargic. She didn’t try to move when I went to touch her, and she was all puffed up. There is a clicking noise coming from her when she breathes. There were periods last night of open mouth breathing. She was closing her eyes while I was handling her. I isolated her last night, and she isn’t worse this morning but isnt better. I can get her to the vet today if she seems to stay the same or get worse - but wanted to see if anyone here might know what is going on/what I should do. None of the other chicks are displaying any behavior out of the ordinary. And we’ve had just these 6 chicks for about a month, indoors, isolated from any other animals & have to had any issues until now. I’m wondering if she someone has come down with a respiratory infection? Again, I’m totally new to chickens so this is all new territory if anyone can shed some light. Thanks so much in advance!
5E026E9E-BDE2-4FB8-9E31-56861730AC7E.jpeg

Also forgot to note - when I picked her up last night she immediately coughed up some yellow liquid that smelled foul - someone suggested the possibility of sour crop on another forum but I’m unsure why she would also be having odd symptoms that seem respiratory (open mouth breathing/clicking sound). Her crop did feel pretty full and squishy last night. I did hold off food for the past 10 hours or so and her crop seems smaller but still squishy. She has been defecating some foamy yellowish loose stool as well. I’m not sure what to think.

Also forgot to note - when I picked her up last night she immediately coughed up some yellow liquid that smelled foul - someone suggested the possibility of sour crop on another forum but I’m unsure why she would also be having odd symptoms that seem respiratory (open mouth breathing/clicking sound). Her crop did feel pretty full and squishy last night. I did hold off food for the past 10 hours or so and her crop seems smaller but still squishy. She has been defecating some foamy yellowish loose stool as well. I’m not sure what to think.
Is your chicken doing better now? I think she might have sour crop but not too sure about the breathing issues and stuff. hold off food and water for longer, 24 hours
here's an article on sour crop
im really really sorry im not of much help and I hope someone else replies. good luck to your chicken and hope she has a speedy recovery :hugs

Back
Top Bottom