57 hours in lockdown and still no pipping PLEASE HELP

LittleLakesFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
My runner duck eggs have been on lockdown for 57 hours and I saw a bit of shaking yesterday (15 hours ago) but now nothing. There is no pip. I am not sure about the internal pip. I am afraid they are going to suffocate. I am afraid to open the lid to candle them again or they could get "shrink wrapped". Should I poke a hole in the air sac at the wide end? When I candled them yesterday, there was movement inside the egg but the air sac was really small. I am freaking out.

Last edited:
I put them on lockdown on day 25 at 9:pm (the same time the incubation started on day 1). They are now on day 28. It is nearly 7am here now. So in total, they have been in lockdown for 58 hours now. One of them has pipped. This is the only one that had a nice sized air sac. The rest wiggled yesterday but nothing now. Their air sacs were very small. I am using a home made incubator but the temps and humiditiy have maintained beautifully throughout. Should I poke a hole in the air sac of the others? I can't bear to see them die. I have had so many die at this phase before :(

I have as well/ This seems to be a critical time. If your temps were a little low, they could hatch late. If your humidity was off, (an inaccurate hydrometer) they may be stuck to their shells. I had one in my last hatch die for this reason. If they don't pip by tomorrow, I would poke a hole and maybe even help them hatch if they don't progress after another day.

Back
Top Bottom