6 chickens from a random clutch of eggs

1. Silkie mix pullet
2. Mixed breed pullet
3. Easter Egger mix who could be a cockerel, that comb is quite red
4. Likely an Easter Egger/Silkie mix, pullet
5. Mixed breed cockerel
6. Probably another Easter Egger/Silkie mix, also could be a cockerel due to the uneven feather pattern.

How old are they?
I thought they were closer to 12 weeks but I just went back and checked their hatch date and they’re 10 weeks.

Here is an update on 4 that I agree might be roosters. They all have green tail feathers, except the grey one. They all have downward tail feathers as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    984 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0140.jpeg
    IMG_0140.jpeg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0141.jpeg
    IMG_0141.jpeg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0138.jpeg
    IMG_0138.jpeg
    850.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0137.jpeg
    IMG_0137.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
The only for sure cockerel I see is the red and black one. The last is likely a cockerel as well, though the comb is quite small. I’m still on the fence about the blue one though! The dark shoulder patches often mean cockerel. The little brown crested one looks like a pullet :)

The only for sure cockerel I see is the red and black one. The last is likely a cockerel as well, though the comb is quite small. I’m still on the fence about the blue one though! The dark shoulder patches often mean cockerel. The little brown crested one looks like a pullet :)
Even with green tail feathers? I thought that was a sign of a rooster. If not that would be awesome because it’s one of our families favorites!

Even with green tail feathers? I thought that was a sign of a rooster. If not that would be awesome because it’s one of our families favorites!
Both pullets and cockerels can have iridescent tail feathers. What you want to look for are long skinny feathers on the neck and in front of the tail. Right about now is when they would start coming in, and if you see those, that means it’s a boy. Another thing that can be used to differentiate between genders is patchy coloring. The last one you posted photos of has very uneven coloring, and red patches of feathers coming in on the shoulders. That’s often a sign of a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom