7 & 8 Month Old Ducks Not Laying Yet

LexiLou27

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2024
I have an 8 month old Rouen hen and a 7 month old Khaki hen (skeptical she may be a golden hybrid layer, see pic) neither of which have laid any eggs yet. I’m pretty sure it’s due to the weather and shorter days (southern WI). I got them in May and June, expecting to have eggs before winter hit and possibly even have them lay through winter with it being their first year. It is starting to get a little warmer and longer days now, so when can I expect them to begin laying? And is there anything I can do to speed it up? They were free range but now stay in a decently size pen with access to food/pool/water ~12 hrs/day so they can’t have nests hidden throughout our property. They get fed a 17% layer feed (Kalmbach) with a feather feed (Nutrena) because they’re starting to shed their winter plumage.
IMG_0372.jpeg

I have an 8 month old Rouen hen and a 7 month old Khaki hen (skeptical she may be a golden hybrid layer, see pic) neither of which have laid any eggs yet. I’m pretty sure it’s due to the weather and shorter days (southern WI). I got them in May and June, expecting to have eggs before winter hit and possibly even have them lay through winter with it being their first year. It is starting to get a little warmer and longer days now, so when can I expect them to begin laying? And is there anything I can do to speed it up? They were free range but now stay in a decently size pen with access to food/pool/water ~12 hrs/day so they can’t have nests hidden throughout our property. They get fed a 17% layer feed (Kalmbach) with a feather feed (Nutrena) because they’re starting to shed their winter plumage. View attachment 3745263
Many of us are waiting and like @Jenbirdee said any day now.
:welcome

Last edited:
Update:
Got my first egg this morning! Not sure if it came from my Rouen or Golden 300, but super excited! Let’s hope they lay throughout this weird weather spell
(it was 74 degrees yesterday and snowy and 15 degrees today)

IMG_1046.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom