8-month old goat doe gave birth - stillborn Help!!

Feb 17, 2021
Okay, so this morning we went to the barn and found my goat (we suspected she was pregnant, just didn't know when - our buck got to her without us knowing) with blood on her tail. I went in and saw a sac figure on the bedding in her pen. It looked like it had all it's parts, no defects, but it was in its sack still. She was a first time mother and it didn't look like she tried to lick it nor did she eat the placenta - maybe she ate a little, I was too sad to count, I knew I should've now. I don't know if maybe she was too small, too young, IDK. Her udder is swollen but I don't know if I should milk her out or don't milk her at all - i've heard some people, when they've had a doe give birth to baby stillborns, no babies to milk to, they have her naturally milk out... do i do that? I don't know what to look for of her udder - id it's big enough or maybe this was an early pregnancy... Sorry this was so long, i'm new to this goat birthing and milking process. Also, do I give her a mollasses water flush? Something to help her get energy? She seems more than fine right now. Please help!!

Relax. I once had a doeling kid that was no older than yours. She gave birth to a good sized full term kid. I was shocked. I had no idea that she was even pregnant. If you want milk, go ahead and milk her. As long as she is well fed she will continue to grow. Now, one question. Do the membranes look normal. If the discharges look like strawberry yogurt it is a sign of chlamydia.

Thank you it does not. I have one question too - do I have to milk her? Again, her udder is not so big and we aren't ready, nor is she. We weren't planning on breeding her until she was older. Can't we just let her milk off naturally, watching her for mastitus? Thanks!

I did not milk my little doeling but I could have. Her udder was not all that big. Just watch your doeling. If the udder gets large and full milk her to prevent damage to the udder. If she kidded early it probably won't.

Back
Top Bottom