8 week old's about to go outside!

tamsteve143

Songster
6 Years
May 10, 2015
I have seven 8 week old chicks, they are in a dog crate and we ordered a temporary coop for them, until they are big enough to go in the big coop with the adults, I'm a nervous wreck thinking of them going out in their new coop LOL I bring them outside everyday in a pen to get some fresh air but they always go in after a few hours, they are in our utility room outside, is there anything to do to prepare them or just suck it up when we get it and put them in? They always have a red led 60 watt light at night, should i start turning it off? I put off getting more chicks for years because i didn't want to get attached and now I am LOL but my 4 adults are spoiled too but I just worry about the transition....this is the coop we got from tractor supply.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    709.9 KB · Views: 32
I have seven 8 week old chicks, they are in a dog crate and we ordered a temporary coop for them, until they are big enough to go in the big coop with the adults, I'm a nervous wreck thinking of them going out in their new coop LOL I bring them outside everyday in a pen to get some fresh air but they always go in after a few hours, they are in our utility room outside, is there anything to do to prepare them or just suck it up when we get it and put them in? They always have a red led 60 watt light at night, should i start turning it off? I put off getting more chicks for years because i didn't want to get attached and now I am LOL but my 4 adults are spoiled too but I just worry about the transition....this is the coop we got from tractor supply.
I'm glad that is just temporary.
Just put them out. If the light is on now, turn it off. It should have been off for at least a week.
The chicks will need help getting into the coop at night if it is not well lit.

Start weaning them from the heat lamp. Unless your temperatures are really cold at night, they should be feathered and large enough to move outside with no problems. Make sure the coop is predator proofed.

I'm glad that is just temporary.
Just put them out. If the light is on now, turn it off. It should have been off for at least a week.
The chicks will need help getting into the coop at night if it is not well lit.
Yes we have a big coop but not big enough to have a section off for the young ones and we have a huge run but I have 5 yr old hens so have to introduce them slowly from what I’m told. The temporary coop will be inside our run and we will just use it for a quarantine coop eventually once they get with the older girls. This is our coop and run we made ourselves

Yes we have a big coop but not big enough to have a section off for the young ones and we have a huge run but I have 5 yr old hens so have to introduce them slowly from what I’m told. The temporary coop will be inside our run and we will just use it for a quarantine coop eventually once they get with the older girls. This is our coop and run we made ourselves

Attachments

• 66E96D67-171C-4002-9118-11AFB0A8EFCE.jpeg
    66E96D67-171C-4002-9118-11AFB0A8EFCE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • AA4A9C8D-6149-418A-BD1D-FF231FB1A0FA.jpeg
    AA4A9C8D-6149-418A-BD1D-FF231FB1A0FA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • A94257C9-16A3-43EE-B50A-022B060D8FCA.jpeg
    A94257C9-16A3-43EE-B50A-022B060D8FCA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
I would honestly be shocked if they still use the heat light. I would just take it out and put them outside. Yes, you will have to do a slow integration. See but no touch. Depending on your older hens will depends on how long that takes. I have 3 week olds currently with the bigger hens and have had no issues but I brooded mine in the coop from day 1. Set up a see but no touch section in the run for a week at 2 weeks old then let them out st 3 weeks old with a space they can run to where the older ones couldnt get them should they need to.

Attachments

• 20210418_211546.jpg
    20210418_211546.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210418_214719_094.jpg
    IMG_20210418_214719_094.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210418_091927.jpg
    20210418_091927.jpg
    876.3 KB · Views: 19
I would honestly be shocked if they still use the heat light. I would just take it out and put them outside. Yes, you will have to do a slow integration. See but no touch. Depending on your older hens will depends on how long that takes. I have 3 week olds currently with the bigger hens and have had no issues but I brooded mine in the coop from day 1. Set up a see but no touch section in the run for a week at 2 weeks old then let them out st 3 weeks old with a space they can run to where the older ones couldnt get them should they need to.
I wish we had a coop big enough to do this, it sure would have been easier. They have all seen eachother from a distance but now I need to start putting them in the big run in a dog kennel so they can really see eachother...hope my old girls won't be to hard on them.

Back
Top Bottom