The Bantam Barn
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
The geese have started laying,
celebrate.gif
and I am ready. Just hoping for a better year than last year as far as hatching goes. I have gotten 18 eggs from 5 pens so far. I am getting excited...I want some gosling to play with...
big_smile.png

Pen # 1 has Gray Saddleback Pomeranian gander over Buff Saddleback Pomeranian girl and White Sebastopol girl.
Pen # 2 has White Sebastopol gander over (2) Buff Saddleback Pomeranian girls.
Pen # 3 has White Sebastopol gander over Gray Saddleback Pomeranian girl
Pen # 4 has White Sebastopol gander over (2) White Sebastopol girls
Pen # 5 has (2)Buff Dewlap Toulouse ganders over Buff Dewlap Toulouse girl and a White African girl(she lost her mate, soo she is visiting..
ep.gif

Do any of you breeders with Sebastopols trim away feathers hanging around in the rear areas ? would it help the mating process ?

I think I will trim those long feather hanging down on the back side, I sure wouldn't want them getting in the way.

I haven't Steve. I know that it may help with fertility but honestly fertility hasn't been a real problem here. I've had quitters which I think is more maddening to me.

Incubators are spotless, cleaned with bleach and I only use my best incubator for goose eggs and I'm still getting quitters. So I'm trying to put a positive spin on it that they're actually ones that would have been weak or deformed or whatever if they hatched so its best that they didn't. It's always hard to lose them though.

Good luck Steve!

Laurie

Quote:
Laurie, is it possible that bleach fumes are killing the eggs? Just a thought, but it jumped out at me.

Quote:
That's quite an assortment, Steve. Good luck! Do you leave them with the geese or use an incubator? Why do you think you had a poor hatch rate last year? Inquiring Newbie minds want to know! This will be my first year with geese and they are starting to court now. Exciting but scary because there's still 2' of snow!

Last year was not a good year for lots of people who have geese. I found out last a few months ago, from a farmer in MN, that the food crop(grains) had lots of mycotoxins in them(from a wet harvest). This really affected the waterfowl, as they are very sensitive to toxins. Guess I should have worded it different in my OP.. I have already checked the eggs and fertility is looking good.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Laurie, is it possible that bleach fumes are killing the eggs? Just a thought, but it jumped out at me.

I air them out for 72 hours before I put eggs in them. I can't smell any bleach at all. I basically use it as a disinfectant. I suppose though, anything's possible at this point.

Steve, congrats!!!!!!!!

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom