9 more days, advice on moving momma and chicks???

Asaria1

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
San Diego, CA
Ok. So i have one hen sitting on a clutch of 5 eggs. I didnt do what everyone advised and move her into her own “broody section”. I left her in her nesting box where she originally laid her eggs. I only have one other hen, who quickly adapted, and started laying her eggs in the second nesting box, not disturbing her broody sister. The nesting box is kinda small, i cant imagine my hen and her 5 chicks living in there comfortably. I was gonna block off the nesting box with some wire or something a day or two before the chicks arrive, so that none of the chicks fall out while she waits for the entire clutch to hatch (there is maybe a 2-3 inch drop from the “lip” of the box to the floor of the coop). After all the chicks have arrived, can i transfer them into the main area of the coop? I have a 4ft by 5ft coop with only two hens living in it (that is of course until the chicks arrive). I was gonna transfer the momma and her chicks to the main floor area of the coop and leave a small basket turned upside down with a “cutout” for an entryway. Will this disrupt the group too much? Will the momma be frustrated with the move? Will the sister hen be frustrated with the “new roomates”? Thanks for your help ya’ll!

You'll have to keep an eye on your sitting hen as well as her sister to make sure they adapt to having babies around. Some hens love sitting, but don't understand what to do next. They can get confused and kill the chicks. Other hens are fine and adore their babies. You won't know which way your girl will go until they hatch. She will protect her babies from her sister if she needs to and with only one other hen it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think your hen will be too worried at moving once her babies hatch. Just make sure food and water are close by so she doesn't have to go far. Once they do venture out you'll have to make sure the chicks can follow their mother back up into the coop easily.

There's nothing cuter than a broody and her babies. 🥰

You'll have to keep an eye on your sitting hen as well as her sister to make sure they adapt to having babies around. Some hens love sitting, but don't understand what to do next. They can get confused and kill the chicks. Other hens are fine and adore their babies. You won't know which way your girl will go until they hatch. She will protect her babies from her sister if she needs to and with only one other hen it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think your hen will be too worried at moving once her babies hatch. Just make sure food and water are close by so she doesn't have to go far. Once they do venture out you'll have to make sure the chicks can follow their mother back up into the coop easily.

There's nothing cuter than a broody and her babies. 🥰
I know. I am SO excited to witness a momma hen ❤️❤️❤️❤️.
Unless of course she refuses them. Will I be able to tell right away if she’s gonna be fine with the babies?? My imagination is running wild. What if i step away and i come back to dead chicks? What if they hatch while im asleep or something? Or what if they hatch without me even knowing??? Can she kill the chicks before i can get to them safely? Do i need to sleep outside right by the coop??? Lol!!
Thank you for your help.

I know. I am SO excited to witness a momma hen ❤❤❤❤.
Unless of course she refuses them. Will I be able to tell right away if she’s gonna be fine with the babies?? My imagination is running wild. What if i step away and i come back to dead chicks? What if they hatch while im asleep or something? Or what if they hatch without me even knowing??? Can she kill the chicks before i can get to them safely? Do i need to sleep outside right by the coop??? Lol!!
Thank you for your help.

From when the chicks start pipping internally you might hear her give soft, quiet clucks and that's a good sign. She's bonding with her babies. Most hens turn out to be good mothers and it generally takes 48 hours from when they pip internally to when they actually hatch, so you've got lots of time to observe her. You'll be bugging her every 5 minutes anyway asking her if they've hatched yet. 🤣

Just make sure if your nest boxes are elevated even a little that chicks can't fall out by accident. The hen won't leave the nest to rescue them so put up a temporary barrier.

:fl for no drama. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Ok. So i have one hen sitting on a clutch of 5 eggs. I didnt do what everyone advised and move her into her own “broody section”. I left her in her nesting box where she originally laid her eggs. I only have one other hen, who quickly adapted, and started laying her eggs in the second nesting box, not disturbing her broody sister. The nesting box is kinda small, i cant imagine my hen and her 5 chicks living in there comfortably. I was gonna block off the nesting box with some wire or something a day or two before the chicks arrive, so that none of the chicks fall out while she waits for the entire clutch to hatch (there is maybe a 2-3 inch drop from the “lip” of the box to the floor of the coop). After all the chicks have arrived, can i transfer them into the main area of the coop? I have a 4ft by 5ft coop with only two hens living in it (that is of course until the chicks arrive). I was gonna transfer the momma and her chicks to the main floor area of the coop and leave a small basket turned upside down with a “cutout” for an entryway. Will this disrupt the group too much? Will the momma be frustrated with the move? Will the sister hen be frustrated with the “new roomates”? Thanks for your help ya’ll!
Once the chicks r hatched u will b able to move her and the chicks . I cant c it being a problem . Chickens usually r very good and protective mother . Just today I put 17 newly hatched (in the incubator)ducklings onto my broody hen . I put one under her for about an hour to let her no she had a baby .even if it wasnt her own. Haha.then I moved her to a separate pen and Then as the ducklings hatched and dried off I took them out about 4 at a time and put them under her and I'm happy to say she has adopted them all. This has eased my mind about hens adopting other chicks and moving enclosure also. Hope it is of some help to u too.

From when the chicks start pipping internally you might hear her give soft, quiet clucks and that's a good sign. She's bonding with her babies. Most hens turn out to be good mothers and it generally takes 48 hours from when they pip internally to when they actually hatch, so you've got lots of time to observe her. You'll be bugging her every 5 minutes anyway asking her if they've hatched yet. 🤣

Just make sure if your nest boxes are elevated even a little that chicks can't fall out by accident. The hen won't leave the nest to rescue them so put up a temporary barrier.

:fl for no drama. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on.
I’ll post an update once the babies get here! Thank you!!!!

Once the chicks r hatched u will b able to move her and the chicks . I cant c it being a problem . Chickens usually r very good and protective mother . Just today I put 17 newly hatched (in the incubator)ducklings onto my broody hen . I put one under her for about an hour to let her no she had a baby .even if it wasnt her own. Haha.then I moved her to a separate pen and Then as the ducklings hatched and dried off I took them out about 4 at a time and put them under her and I'm happy to say she has adopted them all. This has eased my mind about hens adopting other chicks and moving enclosure also. Hope it is of some help to u too.
Thank you!!! Ive read so many horror stories about momma hen refusing her chicks. Your story puts my mind at ease. Im hoping for a flawless transition from broody hen to momma hen! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom