9ish week old silkie got wet now not acting normal

thecloudsburst

Hatching
Jul 2, 2023
Hi, new chicken owner here- my birds have only been outside for a few weeks and haven't figured out that their coop is a source of shelter. Yesterday, my silkie was acting like her normal self when I left the house in the morning. I didn't get home until a few hours after a thunderstorm rolled through. The rest of my flock (including silkies of the same age) was relatively dry and acting like themselves but she was huddled in a corner, soaked and acting lethargic. It was probably ~80 degrees F last night.

I took her in, towel dried her, let her sit on my lap to warm up for a while then put her in a confined space under the brooder plate for heat. I figured she would be herself today.

She's not acting normal today- slow, sleepy, not interested in eating or drinking. I've been dipping her beak in the water every so often. She has been mostly just sitting and sleeping. She does stir when I sit her in the sun, but she doesn't go very far before she settles down in a spot on the shade. For context it's hot today, 90s F. Have only seen one poop since I've started caring for her, it was a little bit watery. She otherwise is having no cough or breathing problems or anything like that.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How long until she starts to perk up? Stressing about it.

She might just be wiped from the heat. High temperatures really take it out of chickens (and humans). The watery poop also might just be from her drinking extra. Is she panting or holding her wings out? Don’t stress unless it goes on longer. It sounds like she’ll be fine.

She might just be wiped from the heat. High temperatures really take it out of chickens (and humans). The watery poop also might just be from her drinking extra. Is she panting or holding her wings out? Don’t stress unless it goes on longer. It sounds like she’ll be fine.
Thank you for the advice! I've never caught her panting or holding her wings out. She has been inside since I found her soaked yesterday evening.

Her symptoms are nothing to do with getting wet. My silkies would stupidly stand in the rain in winter and their feathers would only be wet on the outside. Inside near their skin was always dry. It's hot where you are, and that might be the cause of her not feeling great, or she could be sick.

I would return her to the flock. Being apart is stressful for her. I would also give her extra vitamins (you can add it to the general flock water, it will do them no harm), and I would deworm them, and check them all for lice and fleas.

Are there any other symptoms? How old is she? Is she laying/close to laying?

Edit - just noticed thread title. She is 9 weeks old. That rules out egg issues!

Is she being pecked or bullied? Is she sneezing or does she have a runny nose?

Her symptoms are nothing to do with getting wet. My silkies would stupidly stand in the rain in winter and their feathers would only be wet on the outside. Inside near their skin was always dry. It's hot where you are, and that might be the cause of her not feeling great, or she could be sick.

I would return her to the flock. Being apart is stressful for her. I would also give her extra vitamins (you can add it to the general flock water, it will do them no harm), and I would deworm them, and check them all for lice and fleas.

Are there any other symptoms? How old is she? Is she laying/close to laying?

Edit - just noticed thread title. She is 9 weeks old. That rules out egg issues!

Is she being pecked or bullied? Is she sneezing or does she have a runny nose?
Ok, thank you for the thoughtful answer. I will work on the vitamins. It has been very hot during the day here (94 today and humid), do you think she is still safe to go back out?

She is not being bullied, is not sneezing, no runny nose.

A lot of people will say to isolate a sick chicken. It certainly helps you observe them, watch their behaviour and see their poops/eggs.

Personally, I only isolate if they have something potentially infectious to the rest of the flock, or a wound that will be pecked, or are being bullied. My view is that the stress of isolation (if truly unnecessary) can make them sicker as stress reduces their immune system.

A happy chicken is one that is surrounded by other chickens, unless it is better for them not to be. Each situation is to be judged on its own merits.

If she has shade, isn't being bullied etc then I'd put her back out.

btw I often cool down my chickens in very hot weather by putting the sprinkler next to their run. They don't run in the spray, but it cools down the air around them.

Plenty of fresh water, maybe some electrolytes. Also I don't know what waterers you use, but mine like to paddle their feet to keep cool. So a shallow oven tray with water in is a real hit.

A lot of people will say to isolate a sick chicken. It certainly helps you observe them, watch their behaviour and see their poops/eggs.

Personally, I only isolate if they have something potentially infectious to the rest of the flock, or a wound that will be pecked, or are being bullied. My view is that the stress of isolation (if truly unnecessary) can make them sicker as stress reduces their immune system.

A happy chicken is one that is surrounded by other chickens, unless it is better for them not to be. Each situation is to be judged on its own merits.

If she has shade, isn't being bullied etc then I'd put her back out.

btw I often cool down my chickens in very hot weather by putting the sprinkler next to their run. They don't run in the spray, but it cools down the air around them.

Plenty of fresh water, maybe some electrolytes. Also I don't know what waterers you use, but mine like to paddle their feet to keep cool. So a shallow oven tray with water in is a real hit.
Ok, good to know, thanks for the tips. I'm really not sure if she has something infectious to the others or not because she's not really having any symptoms. Her only symptoms are sitting/being inactive/ sleeping a lot. Almost 24 hours at this point

Chickens act like this when they are sick. It really could be any number of causes. You just have to eliminate possibilities and treat what you can.

Unfortunately, they hide illnesses so you often only discover they are sick when they are *really* sick.

Back
Top Bottom