A Broody Hatching Machine---Questions

AZ_HenHouse

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
For those with experience with broody cochins...
I have a banty cochin hen who is 16 months old. She went broody at 7 months and raised 3 babies. Mothered them for a little over 3 months. Then she started laying...for about 2 weeks and went broody. Silly me was excited. Let her hatch 5 of her own and then gave her a couple more day olds when hers hatched. She did a great job however she was done raising these little ones about 6 weeksish. Started to lay for about 2 weeks and then went broody again. Let her sit for a week then gave in and bought her some fertile eggs. Well those hatched about 8 weeks ago and she started laying about 2 weeks ago and you guessed it...she is broody again. Is this typical?? How long will she continue with this cycle. Seems a little extreme and my hubby is done with babies and to be honest I am having a hard time keeping up with her.
Did find out out silly son has left 2 eggs under her ...looks like she gets her way again.
Has anyone had this problem?? What do you do?

I have other chickens that go broody. If I don't want them to be hatching eggs, I remove the eggs 1-2 times a day. She can sit as long as she wants without eggs. At some point she will quit being broody. I let it be on her terms.

Hope you find your answer on your broody girl.

Back
Top Bottom