A different roost spot every night?

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
We added up on coop a few months ago. Now there are 3 different roost levels instead of 2. The last week or so while I am doing my nightly count I have been noticing all the chickens are in a different spot then the night before. Is this normal? Shirley my alpha hen was always up top until about a week ago when I got tired of her always challenging me and I grabbed her up and carried her around for a bit. Could this be why the change in roost spots? I have noticed that she is not as bossy as before and she has been much nicer to me too. The last 2 night she has been on the bottom roost by her self, One is sleeping in the nest box and the other 6 are on the top roost.

Could well be that by carrying her someone else got brave and that started a shake up in the order. Or it could be they are just moving the sleeping arrangements around. Time will tell.

Yet again they are in different spots Shirley was up on the top roost the one in the nest box was up top too and 3 others were on the middle roost. maybe they just like to sleep in different spots.

I had 3 girls that kept rotating as top chook until I got my rooster. Thy seemed to sleep in different spots all the time (when there was no roo)

Changing the roosting area can make a big difference as well. For example my girl on the bottom of the pecking order goes to bed first. When I change the roosting area she is the one that dictates to the flock that the roost is a no-go or 'changed environment. Not sure if this helps, just an observation.

Back
Top Bottom