A few questions about DE please

lbartsch

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
I've been reading about DE and searching the forums on this topic but I'm still confused. I've been having a terrible fly problem around the coop. I clean the inside of the coop every morning and the run and "sandbox" every afternoon. Since the chickies free range a lot of the day, I walk around the yard every day and pick up that poop too. I also put some fly bags in the trees around the coop. It's still awful. I was hoping that DE might help but I am confused on the following things:

1. I ordered 50 lbs of food grade DE from the feed store. As long as it says "food grade" will that be ok? Is there anything else I need to read on the label to know its safe?
2. Do I just sprinkle it around on the grass in the run and mix it into the sand in the bottom of the coop and the dustbath area? How much do I use?
3. Do I put it on the chickens too? They are just 7ish weeks old - are they too young?
4. Can I sprinkle it around the whole yard since the chickens free range? If I do that, will it be safe for the kids to run around in the grass?

Sorry for all the questions. New to DE and want to do it right.

Thanks so much!!

idunno.gif

Yes- you did right by getting the food grade DE. Its safe for you, your children and your chickens. Sprinkle some inside the coop and wherever they like to dust bathe. They'll dust themselves when they take a dirt bath. I don't think sprinkling it around in the grass will do any good, it will all be gone the first time it rains. Personally, I don't think DE is worth all the hype. I prefer good old fashion fly bags and strips. I put the strips somewhere the chickens can't fly into them. Good luck!

You may already have this figured out, but to disperse the DE I use a mason jar with holes poked in the top. Sort of like a big salt shaker. It works pretty good for me.

Fly bags attract flies, so you don't put them where you don't want flies, but ratehr wherever it is okay for the flies to be. The bags lure them, and they get trapped inside. Keep things dry and you will lessen your fly problems.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will say that it has been impossible to keep anything dry here this summer in Oakland, California. It's been cold and wet all season. I'm not complaining though because I know a lot of you have been really suffering with heat. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom