-17°F

Dewpoint:
-26.0°F
Humidity:
62%
Wind:
WNW 11 mph
Wind Chill:

I live just outside Moncton on the highest point in Westmorland County my temperature is -19º F this morning and the wind is stronger up on the mountain. We have been having this cold snap for the last 4 days or so. My birds have been vocal and active and I have noticed a bit of frostbite on one of the combs of my older hens (four trips around the sun). I recently gained 7 new pullets that have been giving me an egg a day (Golden Comets) with no heat or extra light NO PROBLEMS. Every once in awhile I get a few extra eggs from the older girls. I currently have 17 birds in my 4x8 footprint salvaged coop, They do not venture outside (maybe a bit when the temperature hovers around the freezing point)..

My rule of thumb for venting has been below freezing vents and door closed.

Above freezing vents and door open.

Recently with the added 7 birds I found it necessary to keep my windows vents open 24/7 (every set up is different).

I feed extra corn during the winter months.

Last edited:
Manitoba we have been having extremely cold weather,was -39 with wind chill -51 C. Current -40 wind chill -42 C. Lol
Apparently your temperatures are comparable to those on the planet Mars (Literally out of this world cold.) We get a few cold snaps that rival that but not for as long as you have to endure I do not envy you. My temperatures are colder than those posted from the weather site as I live on a mountain.

Moncton, NB

WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT
Current Conditions

32.gif

-17°F

Dewpoint:
-26.0°F
Humidity:
62%
Wind:
WNW 11 mph
Wind Chill:

I live just outside Moncton on the highest point in Westmorland County my temperature is -19º F this morning and the wind is stronger up on the mountain. We have been having this cold snap for the last 4 days or so. My birds have been vocal and active and I have noticed a bit of frostbite on one of the combs of my older hens (four trips around the sun). I recently gained 7 new pullets that have been giving me an egg a day (Golden Comets) with no heat or extra light NO PROBLEMS. Every once in awhile I get a few extra eggs from the older girls. I currently have 17 birds in my 4x8 footprint salvaged coop, They do not venture outside (maybe a bit when the temperature hovers around the freezing point)..

My rule of thumb for venting has been below freezing vents open and door closed.

Above freezing vents and door open.

Recently with the added 7 birds I found it necessary to keep my windows open 24/7 (every set up is different).

I feed extra corn during the winter months.

Be sure to bundle up those girls in their knitted sweaters!
th.gif

Our highs will be -5 and low -15 here in a few days. I never close the coop pop doors but I may just close one off since it is such a chilly spell.

4 of our 7 dogs live outside fulltime but have compartment dog houses with hound heaters.
big_smile.png

Be sure to bundle up those girls in their knitted sweaters!
th.gif

Our highs will be -5 and low -15 here in a few days. I never close the coop pop doors but I may just close one off since it is such a chilly spell.

4 of our 7 dogs live outside fulltime but have compartment dog houses with hound heaters.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think Canada is an Indian name meaning COLD!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom