A strange case of egg binding

meggles_b5309

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2022
Hi everyone! I’ve been reading on here for the past few years as a fledgling duck and chicken owner. I have learned a lot, and wanted to share a weird situation I had come up recently.

I have a welsh harlequin duck who is three years old, who has had thin walled or soft eggs for as long as I can remember. She is healthy otherwise and I suspect she is just a defective duck. Well, this year she never laid an egg and then in the last week or so I noticed she was getting a little pudgy. A year ago, I had a welsh harlequin with a case of water belly (ascites) that i attempted to treat but was too late and lost her. Because egg binding is it so quick to be fatal, I didn’t think that my current duck had a bound egg. She was also eating and drinking and pooping at least sometimes (I quarantined her to try and do a fluid draw for water belly and observe her for a few days when she began to separate herself from the flock which is never a good sign).

During her quarantine, I had her on garlic and oregano, because those are good for heart health and infection and I really didn’t know what was going on. She did really well for a day or two so I put her back with the flock and then after another day, she regressed, and was off by her self again. I called up a friend who helps me play veterinarian when I run into weird issues like this, and she suggested I rub sugar on her vent - apparently it has anti inflammatory properties. I mixed sugar with olive oil (in the event something was bound) and made a paste and rubbed it on her vent (which looked fine to me but Ive never had a reason to check out a vent before). Not four hours later, she passed this monstrosity. I’ll be keeping her under observation and on vitamin supplements, garlic and oregano to make sure she recovers from any infection, although if anyone has any antibiotic suggestions I’d love them.

Well I hope this is informative to y’all. Thanks for all the great support on here!

Attachments

• IMG_5406.jpeg
    IMG_5406.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 31
At first, I thought lash egg. Is that a compilation of several small eggs or just one big mangled one?

Have you tried supplementing oyster shell? I'd keep some in a dish for them always.

Next time, if there ever is one, try giving her one of your calcium pills. You'd have to get her to eat it whole, but those cause contractions and she'd lay her egg.

Oh interesting! I have never heard of egg lash. I think this was one soft-ish egg that was mangled. She laid another soft shelled egg the next day and was a new duck. I haven’t seen another egg since, though, and her butts getting big so I’m keeping close watch of her behavior.

I supplement oyster shells at all times and just started offering ground up dried eggshells. What kind of calcium pill would you offer?

Back
Top Bottom