Aargh, chickies have wet fowl pox! What should I do?!?

leia_and_friends

Chirping
Jan 25, 2020
Australia
My 7 week old Salmon Faverolles just had a scab fall off a pimply looking lump on her beak. So I know it's Fowl Pox and I'm pretty sure it's the wet type. Because when drinking this morning she seemed a little snuffly... All 6 chicks running round and happy, although I did notice they were a bit quiet yesterday. I haven't noticed any other lumps on anyone else, although some white discolouration on another chicks beak. We do have lots of mosqitoes round the coop at night. Anyone got a suggestion to naturally (if possible) get rid of them?

I know from a little research that I should just let it run it's course, but are there any ways i could help, e.g. iodine and tumeric? I have 5% iodine. And tumeric too, I heard it's really good for fowl pox.
How could I use these things? What should I be doing to keep them healthy through infection? Should I be trying to stop the spread?

God bless and TIA to anyone who can help!

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of the pullet including her beak? Wet pox only affects inside the beak and throat, the airway or trachea, and esophagus. Any lesions on the outside are dry pox. Do not disturb pox scabs because it can spread the virus. Pox can be harder on young chickens.

Last edited:
@Eggcessive thanks. Here is a pic although there is not much to see. The scab fell off this morning - all that is left is little brown mark at the base of the beak in between nostrils. I thought that wet pox also showed lesions on the skin! So if that's not true I guess it would be dry pox.

Attachments

• 1584331519442823419241.jpg
    1584331519442823419241.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 19
You can put flexible window screen over your vents on the coop to keep mosquitos and other insects out of your coop. Also the entrance to the coop, just cut strips in the screen with a razor blade so chickens can enter/exit the coop.
005.JPG 006.JPG

Back
Top Bottom