Abandoned wild dove

Byrd gal

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Sw ohio
A family of doves took nest on my garage opener the mom dad and one baby have been going in and out of the nest now. One dove can't seem to fly very well, it has crashed several times and will not leave the nest. Now none of the birds are coming back and this one has been sitting all day alone or two days. What should I do? How long can she go without water? She is pretty old and decent size to be flying and out in the world. I hate to just have her walking in the yard or die in the nest. Ideas what to do.

Just leave it be. Sounds harsh but something may be wrong with it and that's why the parents left. Let nature takes it course
Thats so sad I don't want to watch it die from dehydration. It just cant fly it fell out of the nest and hurt its wing. Is it possible to help it? My family will be devastated. They are so beautiful.

Doves produce crop milk which will be very hard to replicate
a mixture of Gerber or Beechnut strained chicken baby food with some baby cereal can be put in a small plastic bag. Make a SMALL snip in the bottom corner of the bag and allow the baby to stick his beak into the hole. He will slurp up the formula. This is messy so make sure to wipe the baby clean after each feeding.

For tiny babies, use the rubber end of an eyedropper and fill it with chicken baby food formula or hard-boiled egg mixed with a little water. Let the baby stick his bill into the rubber end and he will eat that way. the post also says to make sure the baby is warm otherwise it cannot digest the food you could also try putting it back in the nest

you could also rig something up possibly to where if you wanted to attempt to release it you could get a artificial nest and maybe run an extension cord to a heating pad where you would only be in contact with it to feed it but if its wing is hurt it probably wouldn't survive in the wild depending on how bad the injury is

Thank you !!!!! it tries to fly but it crashes. It hit the garage wall pretty hard a few days ago. Maybe that is a factor. It has real feathers its sibling is flying and has left the nest with mom and dad. I will get a ladder to offer food it just sits on the nest alone. It may be too weak to fly off I was pretty close to it checking to see it it was alive. The garage stays fairly warm it gets 40 at night 65 days. Or should I bring it in? Everyone is used to chickens visiting. My house welcomes all man or beast in need.

I think if you want it to live a natural life it would be best to try to leave it in your garage and try to distantly care for it any way you could get some good heat really close to the nest 40 and 65 seems a bit too cold still i would try to find a hanging heater if possible

Back
Top Bottom