About to let Guineas start Roaming and feel concerned

Depending on numbers and space, I believe that they can do fine penned. Maybe you can herd them into your fenced garden area when you want them to clean up grasshoppers? I will say that mine were very slow to take to grasshoppers. Only over several years have they gotten better at catching them or even being interested in them. For a long time, I would catch grasshoppers and call the guineas then throw the hopper to them. Half the time the guineas turned their nose up at them… Now i finally have a few that are good grasshopper hunters. We still have a ton of grasshoppers though.
They have been a bit wishy washy when I give them grasshoppers, but figured it was because they never have gotten truly hungry always having feed and mealworms available.

You've heard a man's stomach is the way to his heart? So too with guineas. Keep up the bell ringing routine and lots of delicious treats for them when they come to bed. There's still a very large chance they'll join the larger group of guineas though.
They are so spoiled. It is very cold today and some of them want to stay in coop so I set up a Mealworm cake "tetherball" inside.

Back
Top Bottom