Accidental heat spike during incubation of silkie eggs

aaserviceninja

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
Joshua Tree, CA
I was busy working in my air-conditioned home office and didn't realize we had a heat spike out here in the Joshua Tree dessert. I have silkie eggs that are on Day 10 of incubation in a guest bathroom, which doesn't have AC. The ambient temperature caused the temperature in the incubator to spike to 104.3!! 😭

I check temp and humidity obsessively when im incubating and never let it get over 101F, but I completely lost track of time and of course its on one of the hottest days we've had all year... Just my luck. It had been 3-4hrs since I last checked them, so the max they were cooking at that temp would've been 3hrs tops.

Being that silkie eggs are smaller than your average chicken egg, I imagine they'd be more sensitive to the external changes. Would this have been enough to kill the developing embryos?!? Shoot it to me straight, veterans...

Candle them and see what you see. They should move if you put it close to light, heat source you candle. I'm sure you will know what you see if they are viable or not. If they are viable keep those. If there is a possibility you may not know but keep and then candle a few days later. Make sure you throw the ones out that are not viable.

Back
Top Bottom