Acrylic Paint on Items in Coop??

hsk1977

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
Good morning!

I’m new here (and new to chickens) so apologize if I’m posting this in the wrong place.

Our first flock is 12 weeks old today. My uncle surprised me with an adorable chicknic table for their run on Friday. 🥰 I used chalk paint and some acrylic craft paint on it before adding it to their run on Saturday. I thought since it is water-based it would be fine.

C77C157A-3ED1-44B5-85ED-4E2C540F65D9.jpeg

Well, they are already pecking the paint off of the table. So now I’m a little paranoid. Will it hurt them? Should I take it out and seal it or strip it back to the bare wood?

I love these girls and would not forgive myself if I did something that made them sick. ☹️ Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback!

E9005024-ED3E-42C6-AE6D-C681EC586D16.jpeg

E9F334F8-7CF9-4485-9CEA-220C40219976.jpeg

Because it stays on the wood.
Thank you. I will have to get some and repaint it. Should what little they have pecked off hurt them? I haven't noticed any more paint missing. I don't want to make them sick though. Should I remove the table until I can repaint it?

Before I lost too many birds, mine free ranged. I caught them eating or trying to eat about everything. Foam, cardboard, paper. They about pecked their way into a tube of caulk I had set down while I was working.
Oh no! We had one rip labels off a container of screws while we were in the coop with them rebuilding their roost this weekend. She would do it when we turned our back and then run around with the "prize" cheeping while everyone else chased her around. We are learning every day what silly creatures they are! :lau (And yes, we chased her down and took away the label!)

Oh no! We had one rip labels off a container of screws while we were in the coop with them rebuilding their roost this weekend. She would do it when we turned our back and then run around with the "prize" cheeping while everyone else chased her around. We are learning every day what silly creatures they are! :lau (And yes, we chased her down and took away the label!)

Yum! Screw boxes are a favorite. Especially when you forget to bring one in and they get soggy. Earplugs are hit too. I chased down a few hens for taking them. I don't think they ever swallowed one.

Back
Top Bottom