Added another bird to my flock.

KennyZeDevildog

Chirping
Jan 27, 2024
Coworker asked if I needed a rooster after hearing I got a small flock, I said yes. He hatched him himself. Told me he's a speckled Sussex, I saw his father, and he's a big boy. Doing an isolation period for a time and going to introduce him to the hens.
1000003304.jpg

Oh my gosh he’s just so adorable AHH! So glad you got him:wee

Good luck integrating him with your flock I’d like to know how it goes!
So I integrated him yesterday since he seemed to be not acting all crazy and no apparent diseases and I was home from work. He took to them well and the hens seem to really like him. I got two eggs today. He is very laid back but cautious. I haven't seen him mount any of the hens yet but I'm sure once I finally transition them to yard birds (I wanted a rooster first before I just cut my gals loose all willy nilly) I will see how he treats them, but none of them are beat up and they don't shy away from him. He roosts with them as expected, or rather as I hoped. The previous owners echo my observations. He's laid back and nice and knows his job well and hens like him. They said they hatched him 10-12 months ago, so he's about a year old.

1000003315.jpg

1000003319.jpg

So I integrated him yesterday since he seemed to be not acting all crazy and no apparent diseases and I was home from work. He took to them well and the hens seem to really like him. I got two eggs today. He is very laid back but cautious. I haven't seen him mount any of the hens yet but I'm sure once I finally transition them to yard birds (I wanted a rooster first before I just cut my gals loose all willy nilly) I will see how he treats them, but none of them are beat up and they don't shy away from him. He roosts with them as expected, or rather as I hoped. The previous owners echo my observations. He's laid back and nice and knows his job well and hens like him. They said they hatched him 10-12 months ago, so he's about a year old.

View attachment 3739241
View attachment 3739239
AWW I’m so glad your hens took to him well I’ve always had trouble integrating with my stubborn flock but you made it seem so easy haha. He’s gonna make a great roo and hopefully protect your flock and get established into the pecking order very soon :wee

AWW I’m so glad your hens took to him well I’ve always had trouble integrating with my stubborn flock but you made it seem so easy haha. He’s gonna make a great roo and hopefully protect your flock and get established into the pecking order very soon :wee
Truly it's luck. My whole flock is just basically me getting lucky time and again lol

View attachment 3739241
View attachment 3739239
Handsome!

Back
Top Bottom