Adding 2 chicks to 6 - can't decide where to start - help me decide

You have an order in, so keep it. Get 4. I’d recommend getting more than your max anyway. Chicks sometimes just die. If they are shipped, the stress may end up also causing death. Sometimes an older chicken just up and dies too. If your max is 8, but you have 9 running around, it’s unlikely you’ll get in trouble. But, I don’t know your area either-some are more vigilant with checking up.

If you are really set on certain breeds, you may want to research any local-ish poultry shows, they often have “swaps” or sales. You can investigate any breed clubs bc the breeders will be a member. Or look up NPIP - select your state (or any you want to drive to), a doc comes up. Looks confusing, but on the NPIP web page, look for “stock codes” link. You want the codes that start with “R” for regular size chickens. Find the R code you need for the breeds interested. Then, in the state doc use the “find” function to search for your codes. You might find a breeder in your area or driveable. Good luck.
Cool I'll check out the poultry shows...thanks for the advice regarding how to navigate the site. I've actually found a couple of breeders locally but they don't sell sexed babies. So that's a no-go.
Haha yeah no one is coming by checking that I only have 8. But adding 3 sounds like a lot. My coop is also only 4'x8' although they only use it for sleeping at night.

I am going to propose a different plan. Get 4 and sell 2 old ones! This will keep your flock young. And you will have eggs more consistently. Old chickens can have a lot of health problems.

Mrs K

I am going to propose a different plan. Get 4 and sell 2 old ones! This will keep your flock young. And you will have eggs more consistently. Old chickens can have a lot of health problems.

Mrs K
Oh that’s not an option for me. My 6 girls are my babies and I’m very attached to each one haha. I could never get rid of (sell) any of them. They will be with me til they cross the rainbow bridge!

Back
Top Bottom