Adding ducklings to my chicken flock.

Violanna

Songster
Nov 25, 2022
DFW Texas
So I am getting 2 ducks next week that I am currently planning to house with my 4 chicken hens. They are in a 10x13 full enclosed sandy run, so I’m not worried about duck splashing harming the chickens. I am however worried about the ducks being pooped on in the coop and it potentially being too cramped. My coop is 4x4.5x3. The back 14inches has my nesting boxes, I also have a perch for the chickens to roost but they never use it and prefer to sleep in the boxes since they are higher. So I can remove the perch to make space for the ducks.

I also have another potential option. I have a fenced garden area about 20x30 and a low to the ground 4x4 insulated enclosure for a sulcata tortoise. I can have the ducks share this space with the tortoise (not sharing the enclosure). However it is not covered overhead and is almost impossible to add cover due to too many trees. I would be worried about the ducks flying over the 5ft fence into the yard with my dogs, even with clipped wings.

Hoping to get some opinions or maybe some ideas. I’ll add pictures of the chicken run and fenced garden for reference

Attachments

• BF369BD5-03D8-4507-82E8-4BC9507FE047.jpeg
    BF369BD5-03D8-4507-82E8-4BC9507FE047.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • F26C2D1D-B285-4BEB-9C60-6DCFC9C5C935.jpeg
    F26C2D1D-B285-4BEB-9C60-6DCFC9C5C935.jpeg
    902.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 25FF8477-F4E0-4A88-98B4-57BC19100598.jpeg
    25FF8477-F4E0-4A88-98B4-57BC19100598.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I wouldn't house ducks and chickens inside your small coop. Also, your going to have to introduce your chickens to the ducklings slowly, chicken have been known to peck and injure ducklings so not good idea to put them all together right off. You say ducklings how old are they and what breed?
It looks like you have enough space to put another small coop inside your pen for the ducks? Once they are used to each other.

I wouldn't house ducks and chickens inside your small coop. Also, your going to have to introduce your chickens to the ducklings slowly, chicken have been known to peck and injure ducklings so not good idea to put them all together right off. You say ducklings how old are they and what breed?
It looks like you have enough space to put another small coop inside your pen for the ducks? Once they are used to each other.
Getting day old ducks next week. They are HC ST run so I won’t know breed or gender til I get them. I have 8 chicks in a brooder and getting 3 more when I get the ducks. The chicks will be going to my in laws once feathered but I’m keeping the ducks. So same thing with my last batch of chicks, since my in laws don’t have time to raise chicks and I homeschool my kids, we raise them in the brooder then bring them to their ranch.

You'll need to be ready to rehome both ducks when you determine their gender (usually you can do this between 4 and 8 weeks old) if either (or both) turn out to be male. If you keep your ducks in the same run as your chickens, you SHOULD NOT have male ducks without plenty of female ducks. Like 4-6 female ducks for every male duck.

With enough space, female ducks can definitely live with chickens, though as Miss Lydia mentioned you might want a separate coop for them inside the same run.

So the biggest issue I see is that male ducks will try to breed with chicken hens, especially if they don’t have plenty of female ducks around (like multiple - one male and one female will lead to overbreeding and injuring the female duck AND he would still likely try to breed with chickens). And when they try, it usually kills the hen because their parts are not compatible.

I would plan on separating them.

And as chicks, ducks can get a lot bigger depending on the type, so you could end up with injuries. And chicken and duck babies have different needs - ducks need to be able to dunk their heads to clear out their nostrils and swallow their feed. Baby chickens will often accidentally drown themselves in open water. 🤷‍♀️

I have seen where people keep a couple female adult ducks with hens though.

You'll need to be ready to rehome both ducks when you determine their gender (usually you can do this between 4 and 8 weeks old) if either (or both) turn out to be male. If you keep your ducks in the same run as your chickens, you SHOULD NOT have male ducks without plenty of female ducks. Like 4-6 female ducks for every male duck.

With enough space, female ducks can definitely live with chickens, though as Miss Lydia mentioned you might want a separate coop for them inside the same run.
I luckily know how to sex ducks so I should be able to do so right away if the feed store will allow. I wouldn’t mind having drakes. But yes they would be kept in the separate yard if that is the case. I have no fear of predators in that yard just of escaping.

So the biggest issue I see is that male ducks will try to breed with chicken hens, especially if they don’t have plenty of female ducks around (like multiple - one male and one female will lead to overbreeding and injuring the female duck AND he would still likely try to breed with chickens). And when they try, it usually kills the hen because their parts are not compatible.

I would plan on separating them.

And as chicks, ducks can get a lot bigger depending on the type, so you could end up with injuries. And chicken and duck babies have different needs - ducks need to be able to dunk their heads to clear out their nostrils and swallow their feed. Baby chickens will often accidentally drown themselves in open water. 🤷‍♀️

I have seen where people keep a couple female adult ducks with hens though.
The babies will only share a brooder the first week while inside my house. I have larger set ups in my garage but it’s still too cold in there to maintain above 75-80 in the brooder. I will 100% not have drakes with my chickens. And will rehome if I only have one drake. I wouldn’t mind raising 2 together without a female at all, obviously unless fighting ensues. I do already have a plan for that.

The babies will only share a brooder the first week while inside my house. I have larger set ups in my garage but it’s still too cold in there to maintain above 75-80 in the brooder. I will 100% not have drakes with my chickens. And will rehome if I only have one drake. I wouldn’t mind raising 2 together without a female at all, obviously unless fighting ensues. I do already have a plan for that.
Ok good!! ❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom