Adding Meat Chicks to Flock

photohutch13

Songster
Jul 8, 2020
Eastern Kansas
We just started raising our flock last summer and have garnered much information from this site. Thanks to each and every one of you for the wonderful knowledge we've gotten here. We currently have 13 nine month old buff orpington hens and one rooster. We are getting ready to purchase a dozen cornish cross chicks for meat birds. My husband built me a brooder in the coop under the roost area so they will be introduced to the flock from the very beginning yet kept out of harms way.

My question is, once they get big enough to be let out into the run will they need their own space or will I be able to integrate them into the flock. I've read somewhere that someone had 7 or 8 chicks killed in a day and sure don't want that to happen. We have a large enclosed run so have space to make them their own area but would prefer to let them be together. Thanks in advance!
Coop and Run2.jpg

Brooder.jpg

You want to raise meat birds with laying hens?? Bad idea Meat Birds will have you cleaning the coop every week. They will crush eggs. and they go to butcher at 8 weeks so.

The "Meat Bird" section of the forum might be a better place for this question. Several people there raise both Cornish X and other chickens. There are issues other than just integration.

As far as integration goes what you are proposing could easily work. It's pretty much the way I integrate brooder raised chickens. Whether they are Cornish X, bantams versus full sized fowl, or even the same breed and color sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. There are risks in any integration, if that were the only issue I'd say it is a reasonable approach.

During integration, one way chicks avoid problems with adults is to run away and avoid. Cornish X chicks are not going to be quick enough to manage that, so I would expect them to be at greater risk than normal. That doesn't mean you will definitely have those problems, but they are more likely.

But that is not the only issue. Cornish X are pooping machines. Their life is poop, eat, poop, drink, poop, eat and then repeat. There are techniques to get them to forage for some of their food and get their exercise, but raising them with your flock won't allow that. What I'd expect to see is the chicks laying near the feeders only getting up to eat and maybe get a drink. They are going to make a poopy mess in that area. People that raise Cornish X in tractors often have to move the tractor twice a day because of the poop build-up.

When feeding Cornish X many people limit their feed, otherwise they grow so big so fast that they have medical problems. Their heart either gives out or their skeleton breaks down. If they are in with your regular flock you can't limit feed and keep your regular flock fed the way you probably do.

You are raising them for a different purpose and they need to be managed differently. I think you will find that separating them will be beneficial.

The "Meat Bird" section of the forum might be a better place for this question. Several people there raise both Cornish X and other chickens. There are issues other than just integration.

As far as integration goes what you are proposing could easily work. It's pretty much the way I integrate brooder raised chickens. Whether they are Cornish X, bantams versus full sized fowl, or even the same breed and color sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. There are risks in any integration, if that were the only issue I'd say it is a reasonable approach.

During integration, one way chicks avoid problems with adults is to run away and avoid. Cornish X chicks are not going to be quick enough to manage that, so I would expect them to be at greater risk than normal. That doesn't mean you will definitely have those problems, but they are more likely.

But that is not the only issue. Cornish X are pooping machines. Their life is poop, eat, poop, drink, poop, eat and then repeat. There are techniques to get them to forage for some of their food and get their exercise, but raising them with your flock won't allow that. What I'd expect to see is the chicks laying near the feeders only getting up to eat and maybe get a drink. They are going to make a poopy mess in that area. People that raise Cornish X in tractors often have to move the tractor twice a day because of the poop build-up.

When feeding Cornish X many people limit their feed, otherwise they grow so big so fast that they have medical problems. Their heart either gives out or their skeleton breaks down. If they are in with your regular flock you can't limit feed and keep your regular flock fed the way you probably do.

You are raising them for a different purpose and they need to be managed differently. I think you will find that separating them will be beneficial.
Thank you for your response. That was my original thought and what I will most likely do. I realize they have different needs so we'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom