adding on!! what you think?

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have a coop that is roughly 40 square feet if I added right. I am thinking about getting a 6 by 8 to add to it. This would make 168 square foot would it not? I have 11 chickens now how many more would you get if it were you? I want them to have extra space, not to the maximum number I could stuff in there.
tongue.png
Opinions please.

Sounds like you will be closer to 88 square feet. With the 4 square feet rule per bird you could have 22. But if you want to give them extra room then 16 or 17 might be better.
We have 18 in a 6 x 12 and I feel that they are a little crowded when its too snowy to go out for a few days. Thats when they get plenty of feed and healthy treats to keep them fat and happy instead of a little hungry and crouchy!
smile.png

Multiply length times width to get your square feet. So if you were to do a 6' x 8' addtion that would give you an addtional 48 square feet. If I had coop space of 88 square feet I would not hesitate to have around twenty-four heavy breed chickens, and maybe a few more if you have a good outside run, but I think you will find varying opinions on this one. Experiment with some extras you can always get rid of them, and most importantly do not forget to have fun.

I actually did that to my coop. When I started to build it I realized it was already to small, so I added the back on it. Check out my coop page and it may give you an idea. We keep about 20 to 25 with a no vacancy sign after that. I love my chickens and the size of flock we keep. Good therapy for this world we live in. Hope this helps.

Coop

WOW I feel real dumb right now. Yah, 88 square feet. I was justa working my math out and decided to multiply instead of add. Anyway, thanks for the correction. SO if I added 4 or 5 to this than it wouldn't overcrowd them?

I saw your coop. Wonderful!! I have to mention mine would be in a L shape not rectangular.

Last edited:
Quote:
You are very safe at 22 for 88 sf of space. That is a generous amount for adult birds. many people feel 2 sf/bird is enough, which would give you space for 44!!
Those smaller space requirements are best for meat birds like cornish or cornish X's as they grow fast and move around very little. If you have outdoor space for each bird (at 10 sf/bird) then the inside number can shrink a bit, but not below 2 sf/bird! Those are the numbers I am following as I have done a lot of prep before getting my flock of 30.

fl.gif
pop.gif
Let's see what happens!

Back
Top Bottom