Adding one Gold Laced Wyandotte to flock of other breeds

loohoo

Songster
May 9, 2020
Southern Ohio, US
After finding a home for our roo, we are looking to replace him with another pullet. (We can have 5 hens where we live.)
A farm we've dealt with before, and that I feel comfortable with, has Gold Laced Wyandotte pullets of similar age to our flock. We have 3 Buff Orpingtons, and a Barred Rock. I don't have any experience with Wyandottes, and so I read a little about the breed. I've read that they tend to stick to others of the same breed and sort of ignore other breeds. Is it not a good idea to only have one? I only have space for one more, is the problem there.
They have a good sized run and spend their time in it, no real free ranging. Is that OK with Wyandottes? The BOs and Barred Rock we have dont mind being in the run but I don't want to get something that will be unhappy with its living arrangements.
We started out with Buff Orpingtons that I picked because of their calm, friendly personalities (the kids love to interact with them), and as we weeded out the boys, we added the Barred Rock who seems similar in temperament...I just dont know much about the Wyandotte breed and want to add something that will go well with what we've got going on!
Thanks in advance!

I have 10 isa browns and one GLW. We had 2 but the other one passed on me when she was smaller. Now the GLW is the top bird and the browns follow her.

Back
Top Bottom