Adding to my Flock- Questions

coocooforchicks

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2015
Hello fellow chicken lovers!

I am new to this forum and I am new to raising chickens, I have 6 RIR that I raised from days old, I am now obsessed with raising chickens. They are now 18 weeks and outside in their "playboy mansion" of a coop getting loved on and spoiled, spoiled, spoiled! Little did I know when I got these cute little chicks, I was getting 4 cockerels and only 2 pullets. I purchased them from Tractor Supply, and the employee who sold them to me didn't mention that I had the option of choosing just pullets instead of mixes. Since I have neighbors all around me (some close, some far) and my roos just learned how to crow, I am unable to have them in my backyard. Which stinks because all four are great roosters, not aggressive at all, very sociable, and loving, I hate to get rid of them but I have too. Problem is its so hard to find anyone, or any place to take them! I live in Maryland, on the Eastern Shore so we have some nice farm land out here, but no one wants any roosters. I plan on adding pullets with the two RIR's I have but I cant until I get rid of my roosters (parents orders haha). Any suggestions or comments I would really appreciate!!

Thanks!
D.gif

Advertise them on Craigslist. You can ask for some money for them or just give them away, your choice. Once they leave your control they are out of your control. It is extremely likely they will be eaten. You can advertise as “to a good home” or put some restrictions on them, but that makes it highly unlikely anyone will take them. And once they are out of your control, they are out of your control.

I’m sure they have had a good life so far, which is more than a lot of chickens experience. And if they are eaten, their life had a purpose.

X2 on Craigslist. You can also check with your local feed store. They may know someone who would like to have them. They might even have a bulletin board where you can post an advertisement for them. You can also check with your local 4h. One or more of the students might be interested in them. Good luck in re-homing your roosters.

Thank you both for your response! I have posted an add on craiglist with pictures so hopefully that will help, I also made a sign outside of my house to help advertise it more.

Back
Top Bottom