Adding two batches of pullets and one cockerel to a flock

I would just put them in the coop. Not on the roosts. They can sleep on the floor until they are comfortable enough to get room on the roost. I am too cautious about the size of your set up, but I think that is because your roosts are so low? Can you raise them up? Chickens rather like roosting higher.

If you lock them in the coop, do get down early in the morning to let them out. But seriously I don't think you will have any problems if they are getting along in the run.

Mrs K

All of the roosts are about 12 inches above the floor of the coop.
I the main coop?
I calculated the roost space, and I'm confident that there is enough room for 18 birds. I'll have 17 in there once all of the babies are integrated.
Roost length is important(12" per bird?) but where the roosts are when integrating is also very important. Dimensions and pics of main coop would help here.

One more note, on Sunday, we let the hens out to free range and we put the pullets and cockerel in the big coop for about a half hour in order to get familiar with the interior. They rummaged around and seemed to enjoy the adventure. When we opened the door, they figured out how to go down the ramp to get back into the run.
Good move!

A week has gone by, and last night, for the first time, all of the adolescents put themselves into the big coop. The little cockerel was the last in. No commotion. The Reds definitely rule the run (for now), but they're not going out of their way to mess with the young ones. Phew! Meanwhile, the 5 week old white rocks have settled into the starter coop outside. They love the extra space and in the morning, they dart around playfully. 3 of them tried to persuade the flock to go inside last night, but they wound up giving up and hiding under the coop. My son and I had to fish them out, walk them up the ramp, and shut them inside. It was a good sign that 3 of them knew what to do, though. I think they'll figure it out soon.

A week has gone by, and last night, for the first time, all of the adolescents put themselves into the big coop. The little cockerel was the last in. No commotion. The Reds definitely rule the run (for now), but they're not going out of their way to mess with the young ones. Phew!
WooHoo!!!

Now, the little white ones are outside in the starter coop, and we can't get them to put themselves to bed at night. We keep having to pick them up, walk them up the ramp, and shut them inside. The cuckoo marans figured out the drill in two nights. The white rocks don't seem to be getting it.

Now, the little white ones are outside in the starter coop, and we can't get them to put themselves to bed at night. We keep having to pick them up, walk them up the ramp, and shut them inside. The cuckoo marans figured out the drill in two nights. The white rocks don't seem to be getting it.
They do that...SMH.
Try putting a battery puck light in the coop around dusk,
then turn it off when you lock up after dark.

Back
Top Bottom