Adding young bantam rooster to flock of standard pullets

Jnamram

Hatching
Apr 17, 2020
Hi everyone! I’m new to BYC and this is my first go at raising chickens. We have 2 mixed flocks of pullets - 6 at 13 weeks, 4 at 6 weeks. They are fully integrated in our chicken run and in the hen house, but still remain 2 flocks. I am considering getting a bantam rooster because a friend is trying to rehome him. He is about 13 weeks old. Even though he is so mini, will the pullets know he is a rooster and will they allow him to protect them etc? How should I go about introducing him? And is it a good idea? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

We have 2 mixed flocks of pullets - 6 at 13 weeks, 4 at 6 weeks. They are fully integrated in our chicken run and in the hen house, but still remain 2 flocks.
How long have they been together?
They may stay '2 flocks' until all are laying.
As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

He is about 13 weeks old. Even though he is so mini, will the pullets know he is a rooster and will they allow him to protect them etc?
No, he's just a baby.
Just let the girls work it out.

Back
Top Bottom