Adopting a guinea pig

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
Have said yes to a friend of a friend who wants to get rid of their 2 year old guinea pig! I probably will get her tomorrow, cage, feed, hay, toys. I have the resources to take care of her, and my kids will love her. We have become a small animal zoo (not really). I seem to be saying yes to all the animals I wanted as a kid.

Her name is Fiona, she is friendly so I hear.

Anyone have any suggestions on guinea care. I've done a crash course on care and feeding, we are very capable of giving her care, but wonder, any great pearls of wisdom anyone wishes to share?

I have also thought of getting her a roommate, as I read they do better with a friend. We also have the space, but anyone with experience introducing two stranger guinea pigs? We try to have happy homes for our animal friends (within reason). We will need to see how big her cage is, how much noise they make, etc. before jumping in to two pigs, but just like the rabbits I know they do better with a friend, so will try to make that happen.

Thanks for looking, and please, share some wisdom for my future 'covy' friend.

Aaaawwww I love guinea pigs, yes two is better, if Fiona is friendly and she will get lots of human company and you would prefer to just have one then she will be fine ( its what shes used to) Make sure she gets fruit and veg to maintain her vit C levels as they can lack this, I think this along with good hay and a small amount of a good pelleted food and she will do well, good on you for taking her, it sounds as if she is set for a happy life X Oh and make sure your little ones hold her securely but gently, no squeezing which will make her reluctant to be picked up!

I am so much like a little kid, I cannot wait to get her, I am at work today and they are bringing her to me as we close. I dreamt of that silly Fiona and have only seen a picture of her. I fell asleep reading the basics of guinea pig care last night.

We have a room we can put her in, I want to make sure the cage is truly cat proof before we do anything. We are off work all weekend, so maybe a cage pal will be in the works soon but if she is still appearing shell shocked from the move, we will wait to add a friend until later.

My sons are so eager to hold her. They have had experience holding (not squeezing -- took some time to teach that -- believe me) with our hamsters and gerbils. Oh I cannot wait.

Guinea pigs are sooooooo cute! I have one, and he is just the sweetest little thing. Mine is fine on his own, as long as I talk to him every little while. They're not too noisy, unless they want a treat (like hay, carrots, lettuce, an apple slice, or spinach leaves). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom