Adopting Adult Toulouse pair

Casastash

Songster
Nov 27, 2017
Argyle, Manitoba Canada
hey all!

My husband has been dreaming of having an adult Toulouse pair for our farm and finally found some!

Exciting yes but I’m a little frightened hahaha!

I have heard that Toulouse are the reliably gentle goose breed, but I have heard they typically bond to their families.

Are we looking for trouble here getting a mature pair?

We have all sorts of animals but have never had geese!

Thanks in Advance

I absolutely love my geese. I got rid of the first ones I had a while back and got some Pomeranians last year and I wouldn't give them up for the world.

I know a lot of people automatically think of geese as mean, and I think that's a little unfair. They're so intelligent and really make good pets. I think the level of friendliness really depends on how they have been raised. I started with two adult Poms that were hand-raised by the lady I bought them from. After the stress of the move was over, they came around quickly. Their favorite treat is lettuce and every time you shake a bag of it, they're on top of you. I had another pair of mixed breeds that I took off the hands of someone who didn't want them. They weren't hand-raised and you could definitely tell. They weren't mean, but they would never be up in your business like my Poms. I did get them to where they would take lettuce from my hand, but like I said, never as friendly as the Pomeranians. So with a little work, you can work on taming if you have some geese that are leery of you.

Toulouse do have a laid back disposition which definitely helps. So really I think it's a combination of the personality of the breed, the individual, and the level of human contact they've received. Good luck on your geese! They're awesome to keep!

Thanks For the reply!!!

We are a little bit of a funny farm so it should be fun! I am more worried because I have heard they get very attached to owners? I hope the transition isn’t too hard :)

Thanks For the reply!!!

We are a little bit of a funny farm so it should be fun! I am more worried because I have heard they get very attached to owners? I hope the transition isn’t too hard :)
They potentially can. However with time and after the initial stress, they should be fine. I also obtained another Pom gander from the lady I get mine from and he was paired up with a female at her place. You can imagine he wasn't very happy to come home with me. Once he found some girls waiting for him and transitioned into their group, he was fine. Things smooth out over time. :)

Back
Top Bottom