Adult Duck with Broken Toe!

Bksouther

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
My 1 yr old Pekin/Blue duck has what looks like a broken toe, we have ruled out bumble foot. We think she hurt it trying to flee from the Fox that came through and killed her sister, I have separated her from her siblings to give her a rest. Any thoughts on additional treatment other than rest? I have a small enclosed garden area have set her food and a kiddie pool for therapy. She is putting some weight on the foot now after 2 weeks but still not quite there. Giving her supplemants in her water as well. Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Sounds like your doing all you can to support her whole she heals. It takes a good bit of time to recover from injuries depending on how severe but sounds like she is making good progress. Soaks in warm Epsom salt can help with swelling and inflammation you just don't want her drinking the water it also causes dehydration.

So sorry you lost her sister to a fox.

Sounds like your doing all you can to support her whole she heals. It takes a good bit of time to recover from injuries depending on how severe but sounds like she is making good progress. Soaks in warm Epsom salt can help with swelling and inflammation you just don't want her drinking the water it also causes dehydration.

So sorry you lost her sister to a fox.
Thank you so very much! We have also thought about bringing her 3 sisters into garden area with her, they do get lonely and I don't want her giving up. The 3 sisters are in our pasture area and pond so herding them up to her may be an option if they can all be together. I have been putting warm water in the kiddie pool and setting her in it, she just can't get in but can get herself out, I raked mulch up to make a border and ramp all around the little pool.

Back
Top Bottom