Advice for First Time Incubating Chicken Eggs

NorthernMIFlock

Songster
5 Years
Jun 25, 2018
Northern MI
I am looking for words of wisdom from you incubator pros out there. My neighbor gave me an older Hoverbator still air incubator and my buff orp is broody again. We thought we would try incubating some eggs to give her in case hers don’t hatch. Today is day 1 (set them yesterday and she’s been sitting for 2 days). My questions are: 1. What is the recommended humidity for eggs during the 21 day cycle? 2. The eggs are sitting on a wire mesh plate that came with the incubator. Is there something else I’m supposed to put over this? How about for when they hatch? 3. How often should I turn the eggs? Is it something I have to do quickly so the temp won’t drop too much? 4. Should I wear gloves while handling the eggs? 5. Do I need to candle the eggs at some point? Can I rig something homemade to do that if needed? 6. How often should I add water to the trough inside the incubator?
I appreciate any input, I’m used to letting my hen do everything! Thanks

Keep the humidity at 40%-50 % for the first 15 days, then 65%-75% after that. I leave the eggs on the wire mesh, but I did have one hatch when I wasn't there that had an un-absorbed yolk sac, and the yolk sac was falling through the wire, so you may want to put something over the wire to be extra safe when they hatch. Turn the eggs at least three times daily, (breakfast, lunch and dinner), you can turn them up to as much as every hour, but just make sure you turn them an odd number of times so that they are on a different side each night. Do it fairly quickly, but not so fast you drop them. Remember that they cool down a little when mamma chicken turns them too. :) You do not need to wear gloves when you handle the eggs. You don't have to candle them, but it is really cool to see and helps you to know what is going on with the eggs. You can use a flashlight and block the light with your hand. Always hold the eggs small end down, and candle down through the air pocket, which is at the wide end of the egg. Put water in as often as you need to keep the incubator at the right humidity. Hope this helps you!

Keep the humidity at 40%-50 % for the first 15 days, then 65%-75% after that. I leave the eggs on the wire mesh, but I did have one hatch when I wasn't there that had an un-absorbed yolk sac, and the yolk sac was falling through the wire, so you may want to put something over the wire to be extra safe when they hatch. Turn the eggs at least three times daily, (breakfast, lunch and dinner), you can turn them up to as much as every hour, but just make sure you turn them an odd number of times so that they are on a different side each night. Do it fairly quickly, but not so fast you drop them. Remember that they cool down a little when mamma chicken turns them too. :) You do not need to wear gloves when you handle the eggs. You don't have to candle them, but it is really cool to see and helps you to know what is going on with the eggs. You can use a flashlight and block the light with your hand. Always hold the eggs small end down, and candle down through the air pocket, which is at the wide end of the egg. Put water in as often as you need to keep the incubator at the right humidity. Hope this helps you!
This was all very helpful! Thank you so much 🙂🐥

Back
Top Bottom