Advice for raising baby quails

Monkeyquail

Hatching
Dec 23, 2023
Hi ive been incubating quail eggs for awhile now and two hatched so far. The first one had died and i don't really know how but the second is doing fine so far. I thought i was prepared but i realized i never really had newborn quails. Ive been giving them sugar water because i heard they require a lot of water in the brooder and its a good energy source, i crushed crumble for it but it doesn’t seem much interested. Ive taught it to drink and scattered food around the food dish, but im not sure if im doing it correctly. The chick has been mostly sleeping or moving around well, its not at the corners of the brooder but where the light and the dishes are at. Is it normal for two day olds to sleep a lot too? Am i feeding and giving them water correctly? Is there any more tips to successfully raise them?

You should only give sugar water if there's a problem and the need the energy boost. They do normally sleep a lot, and they may not show interest in food for the first 24 hours while they are still absorbing their yolk, but they should be interested in eating after that.

What is the temperature in your brooder? Does it have a warm end and a cool end? Can you post pics?

Here's an article to take a look at, then ask questions if you still have them. It's a very basic article, though, so you may still have questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coturnix-basic-care.76183/

You should only give sugar water if there's a problem and the need the energy boost. They do normally sleep a lot, and they may not show interest in food for the first 24 hours while they are still absorbing their yolk, but they should be interested in eating after that.

What is the temperature in your brooder? Does it have a warm end and a cool end? Can you post pics?

Here's an article to take a look at, then ask questions if you still have them. It's a very basic article, though, so you may still have questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coturnix-basic-care.76183/
The temperature is about 90, i do plan to get a red light, this may not be the best brooder but its my first time

Attachments

• 4E4E01E0-0C3C-42C9-BF53-5163DD4AEB6A.jpeg
    4E4E01E0-0C3C-42C9-BF53-5163DD4AEB6A.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 9
90 is not warm enough for newly hatched quail. You want it more in the 95-98 range at the warm end. It can go down to room temperature at the cool end. You want them to be able to choose the temperature that is comfortable for them.

It can go down to 90 when they're 4 or 5 days old, depending on the chicks. Some like it warmer than others.

90 is not warm enough for newly hatched quail. You want it more in the 95-98 range at the warm end. It can go down to room temperature at the cool end. You want them to be able to choose the temperature that is comfortable for them.

It can go down to 90 when they're 4 or 5 days old, depending on the chicks. Some like it warmer than others.
Would a 100 watt heat blub be good the lamp itself can adjust the temp so that isnt a problem

Would a 100 watt heat blub be good the lamp itself can adjust the temp so that isnt a problem
Put a thermometer down by chick level. That will tell you what the temperature is. Things such as the ambient temperature, the height of the heat lamp, and humidity level can affect the temperature. I use a ceramic reptile heat emitter in my heat lamp, but there are a lot of options for heat.

Back
Top Bottom