Advice needed for meeting with Board of Appeals

henofthewood

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Hi everyone! I'm a new member and hope to be a new Mom to some chicks! My DH and I are meeting with our zoning board next week to request a special permit for 8 hens. (We were originally told poultry wasn't allowed - end of story. After carefully reading the by-laws, however, we discovered they are allowed as an accessory use with special permit. In the process, though, we may have embarrassed some people, making them a little crabby.)
roll.png

If any of you out there have experience with this, I would really appreciate some help in what to expect, answers I should have ready, counter-arguments to their concerns. I want to be as prepared as possible in case they're difficult. Thank you!

BTW, I have info from urbanchickens and backyardchicks websites.

Well, a special permit is a one-time exception granted when a proposed change to a property is non-conforming, usually to existing zoning laws.

Can you post the denial letter they sent your parents? Generally, when a local board denies a permit they need to inform you in writing with a letter, and the letter must state why you were denied and it hopeful will also contain a citation to the local law that supports their decision to deny the permit.

If you can tell us what's in the letter we can help you craft an argument stating why you deserve an exception to be made in your case.

When my husband I did our renovation a few year ago our building permit was denied and we had to file for special permit, so I've been through this process before.

So go ahead and post the content of the letter (don't include your actual name and address; you need to protect your privacy). All we need to see is the body of the letter.

Phyllis

Actually a use permit and a variance are different things. A variance addresses an exception to the rules specific to a particular property. A use permit is for an allowed use that the zoning board feels it may need to have a bit more individual & specific control. It is granted or denied based upon more fluid conditions than simply "allowed" or "disallowed." Such conditions may include perceived impact on neighbors or an agreement to specific conditions that may be unique to the property.

My issue is really as Sonoran Silkies explains (thanks!). It's a use issue rather than a zoning variance. We were only told over the phone (no letter) that chickens weren't allowed, but when we pointed out the accessory use by-law, the inspector realized he was wrong and that it could be granted with a special permit after meeting in front of the board of appeals.

Letters of notification have been sent to all our abutters and those living within 300 yards. I don't expect any objection from any of them, but I do think there will be some questioning and possible opposition from the board (especially with this swine flu now at the forefront of the news). I just want to be as prepared as possible with answers to their questions.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom