Advice on care for lower respiratory infection? Any advice really appreciated

Unfortunately she passed away this morning. When I got up she looked fantastic! She was up, eating and drinking and grooming herself and was more the happy to have words with me when I checked her crop/crop bra (it ended up going back on differently that didn’t restrict her rib movement). Her breathing still looked laboured but overall I was happy with her improvements. Around half an hour after I checked her she started flipping out and screaming - poor thing had a heart attack. I did cpr on her knowing it probably wouldn’t work but called it after half an hour.
If I had to guess I would say she was going through heart failure - not a lower respiratory infection like the vet diagnosed. She couldn’t get enough air to move at a normal pace, her poops urates were bright yellow and there were no other signs of illness except fowl pox lesions and coccidiosis (these two probably accelerating her decline).
Im kicking myself because I remembered while trying to revive her that a few months ago after a bath, the skin to the right of her vent and under was very red. There was no swelling or fluid build up so I didn’t think ascites was a problem. Her skin was jet black so with my later checks I may have not seen it. She had probably had this for a while andI didn’t pick it up until it was too late.
My poor baby - she was very special, I’m going to miss her dearly.

Unfortunately she passed away this morning. When I got up she looked fantastic! She was up, eating and drinking and grooming herself and was more the happy to have words with me when I checked her crop/crop bra (it ended up going back on differently that didn’t restrict her rib movement). Her breathing still looked laboured but overall I was happy with her improvements. Around half an hour after I checked her she started flipping out and screaming - poor thing had a heart attack. I did cpr on her knowing it probably wouldn’t work but called it after half an hour.
If I had to guess I would say she was going through heart failure - not a lower respiratory infection like the vet diagnosed. She couldn’t get enough air to move at a normal pace, her poops urates were bright yellow and there were no other signs of illness except fowl pox lesions and coccidiosis (these two probably accelerating her decline).
Im kicking myself because I remembered while trying to revive her that a few months ago after a bath, the skin to the right of her vent and under was very red. There was no swelling or fluid build up so I didn’t think ascites was a problem. Her skin was jet black so with my later checks I may have not seen it. She had probably had this for a while andI didn’t pick it up until it was too late.
My poor baby - she was very special, I’m going to miss her dearly.
I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. You tried very hard to get her better and did everything you could. She was certainly loved. :( :hugs

So sorry that you lost her. I usually do a necropsy on hens I lose, just to see what was going on. Your state vet can also do a more thorough one with testing, and make a diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom