Advice on integration

Mythreal81

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2023
To make things easier I will list my set up
Coop 1 is new, nice large coop. It has my babies from this year ages ranging 9-11 weeks of age. 3 sweet blue Cochins, 3 Columbian Rock cross, 3 light bramas, 4 golden Laced, 1 barred rock, 1 barred rock sweetheart roo.

Coop 2 was our makeshift coop. It holds 9, 2 year old layers (mostly easter Eggers and cream leg bars) and one barred rock too.

Brooder holds 20 meat chicks that desperately need to move.

I have been waiting to put the older chickens into the new coop so I can move the meat chicks to the old coop. Is it too soon? I would love to move them now but don't want to cause issues. What are some tips and tricks to move them? I have read to move them at night. Should I do it one at a time or all at once.

Oh, also I have been free ranging the big chickens by the new coop so they can see each other for a few weeks now.

I have read to move them at night.
yep.
Should I do it one at a time or all at once.
All at once should spread out any problems. Doing it in little groups will just prolong the ordeal.
also I have been free ranging the big chickens by the new coop so they can see each other for a few weeks now.
that should do.

(all of this, of course, depends on your birds' dispositions and does not account for specific "personality conflicts")

Back
Top Bottom