Advice on introducing younger chickens

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
Hi, my ISA Brown has just passed yesterday :(So i am looking for a new chicken to accompany my lonely Australop now. I have an offer from a person for an Australop that is point of lay of 24weeks/5months. My hen right now is around 2-3 years. Is this a good idea to incorporate such a young chicken to mature one? And if it can be possible i’d like some advice🥰

2 chickens is an absolute minimum since they are flock animals. More would be better, but there is a complication. Introducing new chickens can be a problem because the existing one will likely fight the new ones if done incorrectly. There is always some pecking order disputes (that is normal), but a bad introduction can be much worse.

Probably the best method to introduce new birds is "see but don't touch". Here is a good article on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/

I'd say the young one is of sufficient size to be okay to introduce at this point.

T
2 chickens is an absolute minimum since they are flock animals. More would be better, but there is a complication. Introducing new chickens can be a problem because the existing one will likely fight the new ones if done incorrectly. There is always some pecking order disputes (that is normal), but a bad introduction can be much worse.

Probably the best method to introduce new birds is "see but don't touch". Here is a good article on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/

I'd say the young one is of sufficient size to be okay to introduce at this point.
Thanks, do you think a chicken 17 weeks is okay as well?

Hi, my ISA Brown has just passed yesterday :(So i am looking for a new chicken to accompany my lonely Australop now. I have an offer from a person for an Australop that is point of lay of 24weeks/5months. My hen right now is around 2-3 years. Is this a good idea to incorporate such a young chicken to mature one? And if it can be possible i’d like some advice🥰
I’m sorry for your loss 😞. Your remaining girl will appreciate the company, no matter her age. Introduce through “look, but can’t touch”. You’ll want to keep them apart at first, in case your hen goes on the attack. Then, supervise open introductions a little at a time. She’ll learn to appreciate her new companion. Good wishes!

Thanks guys, i just have another question.
I now have the possibility of taking in my friends 3 Rhode Island’s. They are mature, around 2 years. I’m planning to expand my chicken space and add in a better coop if so.
What do you think/need i do anything different with these chickens?
I’m sorry for your loss 😞. Your remaining girl will appreciate the company, no matter her age. Introduce through “look, but can’t touch”. You’ll want to keep them apart at first, in case your hen goes on the attack. Then, supervise open introductions a little at a time. She’ll learn to appreciate her new companion. Good wishes!

Thanks guys, i just have another question.
I now have the possibility of taking in my friends 3 Rhode Island’s. They are mature, around 2 years. I’m planning to expand my chicken space and add in a better coop if so.
What do you think/need i do anything different with these chickens?
I have/had both of those breeds, and I ❤️ them! The same thing applies with the “look, but can’t touch”. It’s safer for your hen, if you keep them apart for awhile (quarantine period, so you are not risking the health of your Australorp). Allow them to see each other but not physically interact. If all looks well with your existing girl, the new Australorp, and the 3 RIR, then you can proceed with supervised open introductions. Integration isn’t always easy. It takes patience, but ultimately you’ll have a small, beautiful flock. Just don’t be hasty to place them all together at first. I wish you the best. Please continue to update us!

Do something like this...

20201217_171240.jpg
20201217_170758.jpg

Back
Top Bottom